C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much H.P. for a stock clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2003, 07:40 PM
spokewrench
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 12 Posts

Default How much H.P. for a stock clutch?

1971 350-270 hp putting in a 430 hp ZZ4 fastburn w/ hotcam setup, I really want to stay away from centerforce because of the adjustability issues and
also I am short on $$$$$$$ after this motor.

SPoke-
Old 02-21-2003, 07:53 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Default Re: How much H.P. for a stock clutch? (spokewrench)

If you plan on using that power then get an aftermarket high performance clutch or you will burn the stock one out in no time, then you have to take it apart again buy the clutch and resurface the flywheel :D

[Modified by MotorHead, 6:57 PM 2/21/2003]
Old 02-21-2003, 07:58 PM
A C
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: How much H.P. for a stock clutch? (MotorHead)

I disagree. The stock L46 11 incher is pretty solid. Of course, this depends on the condition of the clutch and how badly you beat on it.

AC
Old 02-21-2003, 10:25 PM
spokewrench
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: How much H.P. for a stock clutch? (A C)

Thanks guys!
Old 02-22-2003, 07:48 PM
The Money Pit
Melting Slicks

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

If you're sticking with the 350,the torque output will be the same,so the clutch should be OK.(Asumming no power adders)On the other hand I personnaly smoked a clutch in 6 months behind a big block Pontiac,which I only beat on ocasionally. :party: Yes it was fun!
Old 02-22-2003, 07:56 PM
Clink69
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With me driving, that clutch would last 500 miles with 420 HP. No way I would leave it. With that kind of power you need a performance clutch.. Do it now or do it later...
Old 02-22-2003, 08:12 PM
A C
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: How much H.P. for a stock clutch? (Clink69)

Remember though that your 70 is rated at 270 HP net. The 430 HP of the fast burn is a gross rating. You can look up some posts on the forum and see that you are most likely talking about a less than 100 HP increase. If you have easy access to it though, you might as well go with a better clutch.

AC
Old 02-22-2003, 09:18 PM
hudman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are doing the work yourself and do not care about having to take out the transmission, then wait if cash is short. It will not cost you any more to do it later other than your time.

My motor is out right now, and my clutch disc is OK, but the throwout is bad. However, while the motor is out, I can go ahead and have the mechanic replace it and have no more $ in it from a labor perspective. I have been told that the labor to put one in would be $250-$300, so given the fact that my power output is going to dramatically increase with the new motor, I went ahead and scraped up the $300 and ordered a Centerforce DF. It came on Thursday! I want to save $300 in labor when I know that the replacement is inevitable, and I certainly do not want to have to worry about it.
Old 02-23-2003, 12:27 AM
Vetterodder
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

How long a clutch assembly lasts, if it can hold your power without slipping, and whether or not it blows up (and removes your feet) are three separate issues. In most cases, the clutch disc itself isn't the weakest link. A higher pressure plate will provide more clamping force and reduce slip. Most of the available high pressure plates are also designed to resist explosion. The downsides with higher pressure plates are increased stress (wear and tear) on clutch linkages and, with some exceptions, higher pedal effort. In your case, a stock type assembly should be adequate for normal street use. If you anticipate slicks and high rpm launches, a race assembly would be a better choice.

Get notified of new replies

To How much H.P. for a stock clutch?

Quick Reply: How much H.P. for a stock clutch?