C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wrong fuel filter?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2003, 12:25 PM
Michaeljh2000
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wrong fuel filter?

Recently replaced the fuel filter on my 69 coupe. The new filter has the vapor return on the bottom of the filter rather than the top, like the original. I did not want to cut the steel vapor return line, so I used a piece of rubber hose in an "S" fashion to connect the return to the filter. My question is: Was I sent the wrong fuel filter? Or, is this the way they are now manufactured? Packing slip says it is for a 69 and I got the filter from a well known vender.
I attached a pic of the known configuration showing how everything is normally connected. Where it has the vapor return on the top, my filter has it on the bottom. In case your wondering, the filter is installed correctly.

[Modified by Michaeljh2000, 1:08 PM 2/21/2003]
Old 02-21-2003, 12:35 PM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Wrong fuel filter? (Michaeljh2000)

There was a run of A/C Deco filters GF 432 that were printed upside down. The arrow is upside down.. most likey you have one of those. There are a few variation also. There are some that actually have the wrong fitting threads. Some later versions are bigger in diameter so they won't fit in the original bracket. NOS correct filters show up on Ebay from time to time. I bought one for $35 last year.. They may be more now.
Old 02-21-2003, 01:27 PM
Michaeljh2000
Instructor

Default Re: Wrong fuel filter? (silvervetteman)

Thanks...I did observe the arrow when installing the filter, which lead me to believe I had done it correctly. If I just turn the filter around, will it have any ill effects?
Old 02-21-2003, 01:36 PM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Only the printing is wrong.. Just install the filter with the return line on top like the ortiginal. Go to http://www.NCRS.org and search the archive for GF-432 for more specific info on all of the variations.
Old 02-21-2003, 02:11 PM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

I just looked for the info but the archives have been updated and I can't find the one that talked about the upside down printing, BUT... I did see it last year when I was looking for my filter. Not much on ebay right now although there is a picture of the correct one and a picture of the larger new one. either.The correct filter is 2 1/8" in diameter at the crimped end and is 3" long. It has red printing. Some newer ones are black. Also the original is silver plated steel not stainless.
Old 02-21-2003, 02:37 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

I got one that had "outlet" etched into the inlet side! :lol: The diagram you posted shows exactly how you should install your filter, with the single inlet side facing downward and attached to your fuel pump, and the double outlet side facing upward, with fuel lines heading to 1) your carb and 2) the small one to your fuel return line. I sent an email to AC Delco (I thought I had a counterfeit part) and they told me that a few of the mistakes "slipped through" :lol: The mistake is in the labeling only..... or at least that's what they claim. MJ

[Modified by MNJack, 3:17 PM 2/22/2003]
Old 02-21-2003, 02:44 PM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Default Re: (MNJack)

Hey! you could sell it on Ebay as a "rare mis-marked CORVETTE fuel filter" Only a few made. Big $ :lol:
Old 02-22-2003, 01:51 PM
Michaeljh2000
Instructor

Default Re: (silvervetteman)

I'll turn it around, the way it should be. Imcompetency really pisses me off. THANKS GM!!

Get notified of new replies

To Wrong fuel filter?

Quick Reply: Wrong fuel filter?