C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Parts store preference?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2003, 10:57 PM
FERL 73
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parts store preference?

A new store is opening nearby. O'Reilly Auto Parts will open in March. I don't have a clue as to the quality of parts they handle. I've used Chevrolet Parts Department and NAPA as my primary parts distributors and Autozone when I need parts for my Arborio truck. Which local parts houses do you prefer? Do you use a supplier because you like them or because they are the only suppliers readily available to you?

[Modified by FERL 73, 9:58 PM 2/20/2003]

[Modified by FERL 73, 10:01 PM 2/20/2003]
Old 02-21-2003, 12:11 AM
73 LS-4
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Parts store preference? (FERL 73)

I normally use NAPA, the local one hear gets me parts at cost since they were the primary parts supplier at my old job and I was normally the one ordering parts so they know me quite well, plus I use to get all my nitrous from them back when I was running a bottle on the old toy.

:cheers:
Pat Kunz
Old 02-21-2003, 12:16 AM
L48Shark
Burning Brakes

Location: If you can read this, thank a teacher. If it is in English, thank a veteran.
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

If I broke down in front of an AutoZone, I would start walking. :nonod:
Old 02-21-2003, 12:26 AM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor

I contacted Autozone on Tuesday looking for an upper & lower radiator hose for a '74 350 vette. They would have to special order it. I contacted O'Reillys next and although they did not have them on the shelf they had them delivered to my local store by noon the same day. I do have to admit that NAPA can come up with pretty much anything, although I have never considered them to be price friendly to the regular walk-up customer. Their life is supplying shops who do work on cars.
Old 02-21-2003, 12:28 AM
gary6696
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Contributor '03 & '04

I used to use NAPA until one day they didnt have a part I wanted, but offered to order it. I stopped at O'reilly and they had the exact same part from the same manufacturer for exactly half the price..
Old 02-21-2003, 01:18 AM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

I only go to Autozone when I need a Robert Shaw hi-flo thermostat. Does anyone else carry these? MJ
Old 02-21-2003, 05:29 AM
Mystery Machine
Drifting

I like Auto Zone and Pep Boys because they have a larger selection that some of the others. But only for the onsey twosy items...for the big stuff I usually mail order or go to a speed shop. :thumbs:
Old 02-21-2003, 06:33 AM
guppie
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '08

NAPA for me since I work there. LOL! :cheers:
Old 02-21-2003, 07:52 AM
Disco_Mike
Race Director

Default Re: Parts store preference? (guppie)

NAPA for me since I work there. LOL! :cheers:
You get an employee discount.
I use autozone for my daily driver. There is a private Corvette part store near where I work. I usually go to them for corvette parts. Sometimes they refer me to another private autopart store near where I live if they dont have the part.
Old 02-21-2003, 08:33 AM
1LE
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I usually try to use my local GM dealer, then Pep Boys or NAPA.
Old 02-21-2003, 10:06 AM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Received 83 Likes on 58 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII-VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03, '06, '17

I buy most things at Discount Auto Parts...
Old 02-22-2003, 12:58 PM
turtlevette
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03,'11

Default Re: Parts store preference? (GrandSportC3)

NAPA and Autozone are the big ones where i live. I find that NAPA will really hammer you on price and parts aren't necessarily any better. NAPA parts guys get bothered when i ask how much something is and nothing on the shelf is marked.

Autozone has name brand parts. Warranty is no hassle since they keep the info on their computer,- i hate keeping track of receipts. Parts guys are mostly young guys that are interested in cars and work on their own rides. They spend lots of time working with me to find basterdized parts such as the special ford U joint that converts the 700R4 tailshaft to the old T400 driveshaft.

jim
Old 02-22-2003, 08:17 PM
Dalannex
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Parts store preference? (turtlevette)

I am the one vote for Advance Auto Parts. Of course, around here we don't have much choice. Either we pay a million dollars for every part or we go to Advance. And they have been really good up to this point. I like how when I browse the store the prices are marked on the parts that are in the showroom (which is a lot). Corvette parts are usually mail ordered.

-Justin
Old 02-22-2003, 08:22 PM
A C
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: Parts store preference? (Dalannex)

IMO, it's not what parts they sell (cause they are mostly the same parts), but rather it's who is behind the counter that determines where I go. We have a local place around here called Red Rooster. The name is funky, but their parts guys are pretty good, and they offer full machine shop services. Also, they are very car guy-friendly, and let me go back into their machine shop when they resurfaced my flywheel. I like Napa as well because they actually do have their own line of parts, and most of them are good quality, and they have a knowledgable staff also. :yesnod:

AC
Old 02-23-2003, 12:00 AM
Ken73
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In III Veteran

Autozone usually, but I look up parts and prices online first before I go to Autozone or O'Reilly. Sometimes O'Reilly has a better price or warranty than Autozone, but the real deal maker is Autozone keeps my warranty info in their computer so I don't have to keep receipts for everything. I think O'Reilly does that now, too, but they didn't until recently.

Not to mention Autozone rents tools (for free) as where O'Reilly does not.

I only go to Napa when I need a tool that the other two doesn't have - sometimes they have some speecialized tools that the other's don't.
Old 02-23-2003, 03:54 AM
SEAvette
Advanced

I have eight parts stores within 3 miles, got a list with phone numbers and go down the list, lowest price wins.
Old 02-23-2003, 07:24 AM
guppie
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '08

Default Re: Parts store preference? (79Fever)

Mike, Sorry it took so long to answer, every time I tried to reply it would kick me out of the site.
Yes I get an employee discount at NAPA and that's helped quite a bit. I've bought a lot of chrome and several other things. I guess when I need something else in another hobby I'll get a job there till I buy everything I need LOL!
I don't know if all of you are aware of the all the things you can order from NAPA, even nos systems can be ordered along with a lot of chrome dress up parts. Sorry just a plug for NAPA :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Parts store preference?

Old 02-23-2003, 09:30 AM
jerryp58
Melting Slicks

I'm guess I'm the second vote for Advance Auto.

There are a bunch of auto parts stores around here, Pep Boys, Autozone, Advance Auto, NAPA, but unless the price is much better at one of the others (AA is often higher), I seem to frequent AA more than any of the others.

I do try to buy as much as I can from supporting vendors, but if I can get it local quick and much cheaper, I will.
Old 02-23-2003, 09:44 AM
Roscoe
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

1st I start with the AC Delco dealer. :thumbs:
O zone :nonod:
Old 02-23-2003, 09:02 PM
mapman
Melting Slicks

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

My car will never be to NCRS standards, however, I use GM/AC Delco replacement parts whenever I can. I use the original vendor (i.e. Spicer) if known. The local AC Delco distributor also carries other quality parts (i.e. FEL-PRO gaskets). Many parts are still available from GM, and I use the local Pontiac Dealer as they are the GM Performance Parts distributor.

A good search engine for GM Restoration Parts is the XCCELERATOR TECH-SPEC CD-ROM Ken Fichtner Chevrolet sells. The notice states "This officially licensed CD-ROM is a parts and accessories fulfillment tool. Corvette 50 year photo gallery. Printable and collectible spec-sheet for each year. Also contains web fast links. These will be a limited availability! Retail $29.95 plus s&h. Your cost 25.00 plus s&h."

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zero...293852#5293852

GM parts available as Restoration Parts are also found at:

http://www.gm-restorationparts.com/e...ITES/entry.asp

Quick Reply: Parts store preference?