C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How does this sound for home made sidepipe baffles?

Old 02-20-2003, 09:14 PM
Schmucker
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How does this sound for home made sidepipe baffles?

I figure I can just make my own side pipes, starting with shorty headers. I'll make it out of stainless steel. Now I'd want some good baffles so it isn't too loud, and those JCL baffles are overpriced. I was thinking I could take some square stock steel and weld on some metal pieces down it. The pieces will be round on one edge (to match the pipe, but not tight). These will be made by taking a wood form and cutting them out of a sheet of steel with a plasma cutter. I will angle them 45 degrees on the top side, then 45 degrees the other way on the other sides so that it routes up and down through the baffles. Each end will have steel welded that will fit tight against the pipe so it doesn't wobble. I will also wrap fiberglass cloth around it for added sound dampening and to make the fit a little tighter. Think this will work?
Old 02-20-2003, 09:31 PM
427V8
C6 the C5 of tomorrow
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: How does this sound for home made sidepipe baffles? (Schmucker)

Define 'work'?
I know a guy who makes his own mufflers. He makes them as close the the same everytime. Sometimes they work, sometimes they suck ( so he says )

So it IS possible...
Old 02-20-2003, 09:44 PM
Clink69
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: How does this sound for home made sidepipe baffles? (Schmucker)

I think just about anything you make to obsruct the flow will behave as a baffle..so yes they'll work. Two things, They need to be held in place tight.. But the big problem I see is can you make 2 of these provide equal backpressure? Also have No idea what they will sound like...Not sure if that is important to you or not.

Get notified of new replies

To How does this sound for home made sidepipe baffles?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How does this sound for home made sidepipe baffles?