C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

78-82 seats have broken tilt tabs

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2003, 07:26 PM
dogboy
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default 78-82 seats have broken tilt tabs

Is there a fix for this? Both of my seats have the white plastic piece broken. I have 2 screws holding the drivers seat in one position and the pass side is free to fold up and down but unable to lock out position. I also cracked the plastic seat bottom along the edge where the hinges bolt in when I leaned over with all my weight. I cheap fixed that with a piece of steel to hold the crack together. It seems to hold for now. I noticed the pass side had the same fix but it was much neater than mine. I don't know if someone fabricated a piece or bought one for this problem. If it was made I'll take a picture of it as it was such a professional looking repair. I would really like to get new seats period. Mine are pretty muck crapped out. If I switch cushions I will have one good seat and one bad. I would like some other model seats actually. C4,s or something.
Old 02-21-2003, 09:38 AM
UKPaul
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: 78-82 seats have broken tilt tabs (dogboy)

Dogboy,
I've got my '81 seats completely stripped down at the moment & the only white bits I can remember seeing were the plastic surrounds for the weights in the hinges that lock the seats in a collision (& they were broken!). Could you post a pic of the part you mean?
:cheers:
Old 02-21-2003, 09:41 AM
Disco_Mike
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 79's passenger seat 'pop's and moves back. I would appreciate pictures also. Restoring the seats is one project on my summer list. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-21-2003, 12:17 PM
75 BBC Stingray
Racer

I bought some 81 seats off ebay, and there wasn't any method for "locking" them in a position. They fold down w/ no push of a button, or lever pull. I thought I remembered reading w/ the lower weight of the fiberglass frame, the seat back was light enough that it did not need a locking device. (not enough mass to cause a problem in an accident)

I looked in several catalog part drawings, and never could find something that I was missing. In any case I'm not sure of the part you are referring to either.
Old 02-21-2003, 12:24 PM
Casper
Le Mans Master

Default Re: 78-82 seats have broken tilt tabs (75 BBC Stingray)

My '82 doesn't have any tabs. I'm lost!
Old 02-21-2003, 12:48 PM
UKPaul
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: 78-82 seats have broken tilt tabs (75 BBC Stingray)

If you take a close look at the hinges you'll see that they're made of two bits of steel clamped together with a small gap between them (not a very good description but you'll see what I mean when you have a look!). Inside the hinge is a small weight, held by a thin plastic sleeve (white) which is pivoted in the hinge. On sudden deceleration the weight swings forwards & locks in a ratchet type mechanism in the hinge, preventing it from closing. It's very easy to miss & it's only because I had my seat laying on its front, causing it to lock, that that I found the weights.
:cheers:
Old 02-21-2003, 01:57 PM
VegasJen
CFOT Attention Whore

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

my weights are gone too. too many times i tried to fold the seat forward and had it rip my fingertips off so the weights went bye-bye. :smash:
to my knowledge, there was no method for locking the seats in any position under normal circumstances.
i say just chuck 'em. i don't really see where they are so benificial. if the seat belt is sufficient to hold ~80# worth of upper body in place during a crash, i don't see why it can't also support 8# worth of seat back. :confused:
Old 02-21-2003, 02:05 PM
Gameshow Bob
Racer

Default Re: 78-82 seats have broken tilt tabs (clutchdust)

the real use is stopping when no-one is in the seat, so the seat doesnt fold down.
Old 02-21-2003, 02:12 PM
VegasJen
CFOT Attention Whore

Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: 78-82 seats have broken tilt tabs (Gameshow Bob)

the real use is stopping when no-one is in the seat, so the seat doesnt fold down.
gee, i'm so glad they thought of that! i can't tell you how important it would be to me that the seat doesn't fold down if i get into a crash :rolleyes:
Old 02-21-2003, 11:50 PM
Stoge
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: 78-82 seats have broken tilt tabs (clutchdust)

gee, i'm so glad they thought of that! i can't tell you how important it would be to me that the seat doesn't fold down if i get into a crash :rolleyes:
I don't think he means in a crash. More like everyday driving. It would drive you nuts if your passenger side seat back flopped down every time you used the brake pedal.

[Modified by Simon Alexander, 10:51 PM 2/21/2003]
Old 02-22-2003, 12:13 AM
VegasJen
CFOT Attention Whore

Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: 78-82 seats have broken tilt tabs (Simon Alexander)

actually, i already drive with it down! :lol: got into that habit after my first auto-x after the weights were removed. it's also annoying to make a hard right hand turn and have the glove box door fly open and everything in it fly across the car at you :nono:

Get notified of new replies

To 78-82 seats have broken tilt tabs

Quick Reply: 78-82 seats have broken tilt tabs