C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

refinishing questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2003, 04:51 PM
szercer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default refinishing questions

I want to get the metal parts in my interior refinished, sill plates, gauge bezels, etc. anyone else done this or know a good place to get it done? I am thinking I would like an aluminum type finish as opposed to chrome or anything.
Old 02-20-2003, 11:43 PM
szercer
Instructor

Default Re: refinishing questions (szercer)

ttt please
Old 02-21-2003, 01:18 AM
paintdaddy
Drifting

Ive redone alot of these.I just repainted my own last weekend.No offense but I would rethink that aluminum color.as far as the sill plates ,its better to just buy new ones,they are cheap,plus the metal is probably scratched up.If you want,I could do them or Ill tell you how and you can try it. :seeya
Old 02-21-2003, 03:49 PM
szercer
Instructor

Default Re: refinishing questions (paintdaddy)

thanks for the reply, do you have any pics of yours and what finish do you recommend. I also wanted to wanted to know about the process, is the old finish sandblasted off, etc. what does this usually cost, too. thanks much 9don't worry about the pics if its a hassle)
Old 02-22-2003, 06:04 AM
paintdaddy
Drifting

I can take pics but theres not much to see.Mine is a 68 and 68s were smooth finish.The texture you are asking about is molded into the meta its not the paint that makes it wrinkly.DONT sand blast it.Completely disassemble it and soak it in lacquer thinner for awhile till it comes off.Then youll see the wrinkle texture in the metal.Go to your paint store and get some blue 1/16 or 1/8 inch fineline tape.Tape up the edges of the openings and the border of the whole plate.Dont worry about the letters and numbers.Paint the whole plate with your desired color ,I just used a semigloss black from rustoleum.Try not to spray it real wet.med to light coats are good..spray 2 or 3 coats of that should be good.after you last coat,take a thin rag that has ben dipped in thinner and rung out ,wrap it around your finger and start wiping off the letters and numbers.This is time consuming and tedious but it will look good.Try it .the worst thing that can happen is you redo it or have it redone. :seeya

Get notified of new replies

To refinishing questions

Quick Reply: refinishing questions