C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TKO: metric or SAE speedo adapter & what is loose cable?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2003, 01:43 PM
71roadster
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default TKO: metric or SAE speedo adapter & what is loose cable?

Tried to connect the speedo adapter last night and the threads don't seem to match. I'm wondering if I have a metric adaptor. It's anodizes purple if that means anything. What was your guys' experience?

Also, there is a springy cable attached to the tail shaft. Any idea what that is? I know its not the reverse light switch.

CHris
Old 02-20-2003, 02:32 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: TKO: metric or SAE speedo adapter & what is loose cable? (71roadster)

I used a ford version of the TKO but it was metric. The stock ford speedo adaptor slides into the tailstock and a METRIC bolt holds it in place.
The back up lights was a double pronged switch sticking out of the drivers side of the main body. It just makes or breaks a circuit comming from the tunnel.
Old 02-20-2003, 02:58 PM
71roadster
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: TKO: metric or SAE speedo adapter & what is loose cable? (norvalwilhelm)

yes, but what about the threads that couple to the speedo cable itself? is there an SAE adapter available?
Old 02-20-2003, 04:40 PM
69bblock3x2
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: TKO: metric or SAE speedo adapter & what is loose cable? (71roadster)

Chris,

My speedometer cable screwed right on to the adapter. The adapter itself had a plain metalic finish on it. One thing that you might want to try is mating the cable and adapter togehter with the adapter out of the transmission first. If that works then take them back apart, install the adapter then re-attach the cable.

The wire coming out of the back of the transmission is a lead that connects the neutral indicator switch to a computer for cars so equipped. Forte's Parts Connection sells a plug that goes in the hole once you remove the wire.

John
Old 02-21-2003, 12:01 AM
454Can-Am
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with 69BB3X2 ----the adapter I got let the speedometer cable screw right on. The only problem I had then was the inside cable wasn't long enough. I solved that by getting a new cable at NAPA (under $8 bucks) and cutting it about 2 inches longer !
As for the loose wire cable on the back --- I'm thinking about running wires and hooking a bulb in the interior to visually show me when the car is in neutral !!! Rick :chevy

Get notified of new replies

To TKO: metric or SAE speedo adapter & what is loose cable?

Quick Reply: TKO: metric or SAE speedo adapter & what is loose cable?