C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone running an aluminum flywheel on the street?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2003, 10:53 AM
GeoffSchultz
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone running an aluminum flywheel on the street?

I am considering running an aluminum flywheel with my new ROD 6-speed that I am putting in a 1980 vette. On another thread, I was told by WA 2 FST that an aluminum flywheel might be somewhat harder to get going from a stop, as it stores less energy than a steel one due to its lower weight. I want to drive my car as a daily driver, and there is a lot of stop-and-go in Houston traffic.

I was wondering if any of you guys use an aluminum flywheel in a daily driver, and how much different/more difficult it is than a steel flywheel.

Thanks!
Old 02-20-2003, 11:55 AM
Blue76
Racer

Default Re: Anyone running an aluminum flywheel on the street? (GeoffSchultz)

I don't have one in the vette but I do have one in the mustang. It is a little different at first but after you drive it for awhile you won't pay any attention to taking off. I love mine.
Old 02-20-2003, 01:50 PM
WA 2 FST
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 556 Likes on 359 Posts

Geoff,

Why don't you be the guinea pig? :D I'm teasing. I know its a lot of $$ wasted if you make a mistake.
Old 02-20-2003, 05:46 PM
ragingbull
Heel & Toe

Default Re: Anyone running an aluminum flywheel on the street? (WA 2 FST)

I don't think you will have any problem with the light flywheel as your 6 speed has a low enough first gear so take off should be a breeze. I would say the light flywheel is great for the street as when rolling on and then nailing it response will be great as the light wheel will allow it to wind up very rapidly and make your roll on acceleration a blast...
Old 02-20-2003, 08:01 PM
Chuck Harmon
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Anyone running an aluminum flywheel on the street? (ragingbull)

:iagree:

Chuck
Old 02-20-2003, 10:28 PM
Lt1er
Drifting

I have the lite aluminum. For the past ten years. It all comes down to the motor and driving style. If your good enough with a clutch to ease out and get going at idle your not using flywheel mass and rpm. People that rev it up and smoke the clutch to get going need an automatic.

Heavy flywheels are just hard on everything! You do a fast shift at high rpm and instantly your motor has to change a couple 1000 rpm.

Some people love the big churp when they shift. (BIG FLYWHEEL) shift fast and easy let your nice ROD and motor do the work :cheers:
Old 02-20-2003, 11:55 PM
71vettman
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Using an aluminum flywheel for a strictly street car can be done but It will just make it less drivable. Most likley you will have to set your engine idle higher so it wont stall and you will feel the "pounding" of the engine more because you have taken away rotating mass which makes an engine run and idle smoother. You will be able to change rpm's quicker though.
Over all I think a steel flywheel is the way to go on a daily driver.
Kevin
Old 02-21-2003, 12:16 AM
ragingbull
Heel & Toe

Default Re: Anyone running an aluminum flywheel on the street? (71vettman)

Sorry but have to disagree with the bros saying the aluminum wheel would be less then great on the street. The light wheel may have less rotating mass and maybe a bit harder to launch, but with the 6 speed, his first gear would have a much easier gear to pull off of the line and would more then compensate for the lighter wheel. First gear in most munchey 4 speeds (and T-10s) are in the 240 - 250 to 1 ratio where the 5 or 6 speed probably have like a 320 - 330 to 1 first gear ratio which would make the car pull from the line quite easily. Sorry to be arguementive, just my opinion as I have run a few cars with the aluminum wheel with the special face on it with great luck, success, and fun...
Old 02-21-2003, 02:58 PM
GeoffSchultz
Instructor

Default Re: Anyone running an aluminum flywheel on the street? (ragingbull)

Thanks for all the help guys. I think I will give an aluminum flywheel a shot, and will certainly report back what I think.

FYI ragingbull and others---the first gear ratio on the ROD I am getting is indeed 3.28. Sure does seem like the disadvantage to an aluminum flywheel (less recipricating mass) would be offset by the huge effective gear increase going to such a high first gear ratio.

Thanks again.
Old 02-21-2003, 03:57 PM
yellow 72
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

On the gearhead program Horse Power TV last week they did a motor swap in their Honda project car and installed a performance clutch & flywheel.
The interesting thing about the flywheel is that it was steel but had most of it's mass concentrated near the center, which they claim allowed for much quicker revs and throttle response without going the $aluminum$ route.
I don't recall the manufacture but I wonder if they make them for real cars :flag :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone running an aluminum flywheel on the street?

Quick Reply: Anyone running an aluminum flywheel on the street?