C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C question

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2003, 08:47 AM
Avette4me
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Default A/C question

Getting ready to install new belts, hoses, etc. My A/C is currently out of commission but is all there (I’ll restore it someday). I am thinking of leaving the belt off of the compressor which leads to my question. Will the compressor freeze up from lack of use, is it best to keep it turning or am I ok to leave the belt off of it?

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-20-2003, 09:02 AM
page62
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: A/C question (Avette4me)

The belt doesn't actually turn the compressor because the A/C clutch is disengaged. It only turns the pulley.

Don't worry about the compressor, it's probably toast already. :smash:
Old 02-20-2003, 09:02 AM
IETEK
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While I am not really a seasoned air conditioning man. I do know that the compressor only turns if the clutch is pulled in. If your AC is out of comission then your compressor will not turn any way, the belt is just turning the pulley attached a electro-magnetic clutch the only time this clutch is pulled in (considering a fully functional system) is when the ac is actuallly turned on. thats the clicking sound made when you turn your ac on. I tend to ramble at times please forgive me. For the short answer it should not hurt the compressor to not have a belt on it. I plan on taking mine off the first chance I get I have the same problem my AC is inoperable too.
Also do you know what is wrong with it? Check to see if the system still has pressure on it by depressing one of the Schrader valves on the system. If it does then you can probably recharge it. If all components are there it is more than likely low on FREON if this is the case you can jump out the low pressure switch on the dryer and see if the compressor runs. I would only let it run for just a second though. (just as a troubleshooting method)
If it runs I would recharge the system you should have AC again
Also I would swap the FREON to the new stuff it is allot cheaper and you can get it at wal-mart.

Later, IETEK :D

[Modified by IETEK, 2:15 PM 2/20/2003]
Old 02-20-2003, 09:04 AM
Avette4me
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Default Re: A/C question (IETEK)

Thanks gentlemen!
Old 02-20-2003, 09:05 AM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The belt only turns the clutch bearing until you turn the A/C on. Otherwise the compressor never turns. Belt on of off doesn't make any differece.

Get notified of new replies

To A/C question

Quick Reply: A/C question