C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Legislative Alert for Arizona! This is actually good.

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2003, 08:44 AM
burners
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Default Legislative Alert for Arizona! This is actually good.

I just received this info from SEMA. It would be a very good idea to call and write your state representative and tell them you support the bill and expect them to.

EMISSIONS INSPECTION EXEMPTION FOR OLDER CARS IN ARIZONA
Legislation has been introduced in the Arizona House of Representatives to exempt vehicles 25 years old and older from the state’s mandatory emissions inspection and maintenance program. Existing law in Arizona only exempts vehicles manufactured in or before the 1966 model year from the emissions inspection. The bill would exempt pre-1979 vehicles upon enactment and would pick up an additional model year for each year the law is in effect.

Old 02-20-2003, 09:02 AM
Paul Borowski
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 274 Likes on 160 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Default Re: Legislative Alert for Arizona! This is actually good. (burners)

Great for most C3ers. Wish it was that way for every state :thumbs:
Old 02-21-2003, 12:07 PM
burners
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Default Re: Legislative Alert for Arizona! This is actually good. (Paul Borowski)

ttt this is important, guys. Bseery, desertdawg, etc. Sooner or later AZ is going to have state wide emissions testing.
Old 02-25-2003, 11:31 PM
AZ76
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How does one contribute to getting something like this passed. Would writing letters really help? I remember a similar bill last year (H.B. 2045) had a 20 yr. rolling exemption, but must have been shot down, so now their trying a 25 yr. exemption. Do these bills really have a chance, Id love to see something like this actually go through for us AZ people, and everyone else for that matter.

Jason
Old 02-26-2003, 03:27 AM
Desertdawg
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: Legislative Alert for Arizona! This is actually good. (AZ76)

Thanks for the heads up...I am mailing out to the 80+ people on our Az vette rooster tonight..... :cheers: :thumbs:
Old 02-26-2003, 10:56 AM
burners
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Default Re: Legislative Alert for Arizona! This is actually good. (AZ76)

AZ76, writing letters and calling really does help. SEMA has helped pass these laws in several states including California! Keep in mind that if your state representative doesn't hear anything from their constituents they will vote however they want to. If they receive letters and calls from the people that elected them they are far more likely to listen because 1. they are representing you and 2. they want to get re-elected so they usually don't vote against what the voters want.

Way to go Desertdawg. Just think, if it passes, your car will be exempt in a couple of years.
Old 02-26-2003, 11:23 AM
Togo
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

where would we get addys (email or po box) to send them our thoughs and concerns on this issue.....somdday my cars will be 25 years old!!! :D
and anybody got a similar letter THEY wrote to their representatives that we could "plagerise" errrr i mean paraprhase?
Old 02-26-2003, 11:34 AM
Robert N
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Legislative Alert for Arizona! This is actually good. (Desertdawg)

Thanks for the "heads up" Burners. Right now, my parents who live 15 minutes North of me have NO inspections for ANY vehicle.

DesertDawg, go ahead and add me to the ACE list if you would. Drop a line if you need any info
Old 02-26-2003, 01:14 PM
burners
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Default Re: Legislative Alert for Arizona! This is actually good. (85_togo)

85_togo, here is some more information including a way to find out who your state representative is. You can use the bullet points in your letter as reasons why you support the bill. I would recommend writing AND calling, that way you get double impact. Also, get as many of your friends as possible to send letters as well, especially from other districts. Here is some more info from SEMA.

Emissions Inspection Exemption for Older Cars: Arizona

A bill (H.B. 2387) has been introduced in the Arizona House of Representatives to exempt motor vehicles that bear a model year date of original manufacture that is 25 years old or older from the state’s mandatory emissions inspection and maintenance program.

We Urge You to Contact Your State Legislators in Support of this Bill

Existing law in Arizona only exempts vehicles manufactured in or before the 1966 model year from emissions inspection.

-H.B. 2387 provides for a rolling 25-year exemption that would exempt pre-1979 vehicles upon enactment and would pick up an additional model year for each year the law is in effect.
-H.B. 2387 acknowledges the relatively minimal environmental impact of older vehicles, such as the 25-year old and older vehicles targeted for this exemption.
-Many states have already enacted similar exemptions, the most recent being Missouri in 2001, Virginia in 2000, Washington State in 1998 and California in 1997. The reason for this trend is clear; such vehicles constitute a small portion of the vehicle fleet and are generally well-maintained and infrequently operated.
-The idea behind exempting any class of vehicles is to reduce costs while not losing appreciable emissions reductions. This strategy not only builds public support for emissions-inspection programs, but also directs the program to where it will be most valuable in cleaning the air. A 25-year rolling exemption certainly achieves these ends.

Please contact members of the Arizona Legislature in support of this bill. If you need assistance in determining who your legislators are, contact the Arizona Legislature's General Information line: 602/542-4900. This information can also be obtained by calling the SEMA Washington, D.C. office at 202/783-6007 ext. 39 or you can access this information via the Internet at http://www.enjoythedrive.com/legisla...egislator.asp. Please fax a copy of your letters to us at 202/783-6024 or mail to:

SEMA Washington Office
1317 F St., NW, Ste. 500
Washington, D.C. 20004
Attn: Steve McDonald/Brian Caudill
Old 02-26-2003, 01:22 PM
burners
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Here are some tips for writing a letter and communicating with your state rep. http://www.enjoythedrive.com/content/?id=8212 http://www.enjoythedrive.com/content/?id=8214

I'm hoping to move back to AZ someday soon so I wish you guys luck. Not just for my selfish interests but for everyone with old cars.
Old 02-26-2003, 01:29 PM
Robert N
Melting Slicks

Thanks for the links, especially given your being in Texas.
Old 02-26-2003, 02:44 PM
burners
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Default Re: Legislative Alert for Arizona! This is actually good. (Robert N)

No problem, I have a fondness for Arizona. I grew up there and went to ASU. Besides, I'll help out enthusiasts anywhere I can. Hot rodding and cars are a great hobby. We have to do all we can to keep it going.
Old 02-26-2003, 05:06 PM
MassVette
Le Mans Master

Believe it or not, we have an exemption for ALL pre-84 cars in the Peoples' Republik of Taxachusetts up here!
I dunno how- must be some liberal 'oversight'- but we're not complainin' about it!
:yesnod: :chevy :chevy :yesnod:
Old 02-26-2003, 07:57 PM
glen242
Melting Slicks

Going to retire in a few years. My choices are Arizona and New Mexico. My preference was Arizona but they had stupid smog laws, so I ruled that out. If they pass this law, Arizona will be at the top of my list to spend my "Golden Years". :)
Old 02-26-2003, 11:52 PM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Default Re: Legislative Alert for Arizona! This is actually good. (glen242)

This will pass, I am sure of it.

Why do I know?

Because I just spent over $1000.00 in an exhaust system that is emissions legal and is good enough to put behind a ZZ4 motor. Headers with A.I.R. pipes, dual cat. exhaust system -- very pricey.

Now that I have dropped this kind of dough, they will pass the law for me.

Come on 2005 !!!!
Old 02-27-2003, 05:55 AM
virtue4u
Team Owner

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

As a citizen of Texas who cannot vote in Arizona, I doubt your politicians will listen to me, but you guys need to organize, organize and organize opposition to stupid environmental laws. One man can change things if he works at it. If I can help, let me know. Here is a link to help offered by SEMA: http://www.shadetreemechanic.com/sema_victories.htm

[Modified by virtue4u, 5:04 AM 2/27/2003]
Old 02-27-2003, 10:43 AM
Bob Turner
Drifting

Default Re: Legislative Alert for Arizona! This is actually good. (MassVette)

Believe it or not, we have an exemption for ALL pre-84 cars in the Peoples' Republik of Taxachusetts up here!
I dunno how- must be some liberal 'oversight'- but we're not complainin' about it!
:yesnod: :chevy :chevy :yesnod:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Get notified of new replies

To Legislative Alert for Arizona! This is actually good.

Old 02-27-2003, 11:56 AM
Robert N
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Legislative Alert for Arizona! This is actually good. (BSeery)

This will pass, I am sure of it.

Why do I know?

Because I just spent over $1000.00 in an exhaust system that is emissions legal and is good enough to put behind a ZZ4 motor. Headers with A.I.R. pipes, dual cat. exhaust system -- very pricey.

Now that I have dropped this kind of dough, they will pass the law for me.

Come on 2005 !!!!
:lol: :lol:

Ain't that the truth. MIne just needs to pass the visual. I do not have the A.I.R system so it should fail. Passed this year. Go figure.
Old 02-28-2003, 11:38 PM
Zane
Racer

Default Re: Legislative Alert for Arizona! This is actually good. (Robert N)

Well I sure will write. I don't have to pass any smog stuff right now. :D :D :D
But with all the new housing going up in Maricopa it probly wont be long untill smog checks are started here.
I think I'll put up a sign in my yard that says "Phoenicians not welcomed" :lol:
Old 03-01-2003, 02:16 AM
Desertdawg
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: Legislative Alert for Arizona! This is actually good. (Zane)

I wrote to everyone on that list, they moved the smog border to within 15 miles of Gila Bend last year..... :reddevil

Quick Reply: Legislative Alert for Arizona! This is actually good.