C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Converting from Points to Electronic Ignition

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2003, 03:24 PM
Corz
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Converting from Points to Electronic Ignition

I've heard that Mallory and Pertronix were very good conversion kits, however i came across a kit offered by Crane Cams; however it is only offered in single point, I'm running dual points. would that kit still work or not?
Old 02-19-2003, 03:26 PM
Madmikeee
Team Owner

Location: Sometimes I wonder... why is that frisbee getting bigger? Then it hits me.
Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

Default Re: Converting from Points to Electronic Ignition (Corzvette69)

Bling Bling on the sig yo!! ;)

Dunno about the points issue but sounds to me like it would present some problems.
Old 02-19-2003, 03:29 PM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 143 Likes on 126 Posts

Default Re: Converting from Points to Electronic Ignition (Madmikeee)

I have used Pertronix in the past and NEVER AGAIN...had two modules fail (both ignitor II's) leaving me stranded. I bought a tach drive Mallory dual point distributor new for around 175 and coud not be happier :cheers: ...However other folks are happy with Pertronix....So it is really up to you
Old 02-19-2003, 04:23 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

The Crane unit looks pretty good, it might work with a dual point distributor since it uses a shuttle sensor and does not appear to use the lobes on the distributor.
I think you'd have to check with Crane for a definative answer.
Old 02-19-2003, 05:40 PM
Jvette73
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive been running PertronixII and had one fail. It happened when the car was cranked and cranked till the battery was dead bucause the coil wire was not hooked up. I dont know how this damaged the ignitor but it had to be replaced after that. Otherwise I suppose im satisfied with the PertronixII since im still running it.

Do you mean that Crane didnt differentiate between a kit for single or dual point distributors? I dont remember seeing that either when I ordered my Pertronix.
Old 02-19-2003, 05:53 PM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I've been using a Pertronix Ignitor since May of 2001 and haven't had a problem yet. It was fairly easy to install and hasn't missed a beat yet. I've heard of people who had problems with the Ignitor II which I believe is a lobe sensor unit. Usually the problems are poor starting but I've heard of other problems. The only thing I can recommend is to go with the original Pertronix unit that uses the Magnet ring under the rotor and for $70 or so you will have a nice unit. Here's the link to my review and others. https://www.corvetteforum.com/review...=221&TopicID=2
Old 02-19-2003, 06:00 PM
Jvette73
Safety Car

Default Re: Converting from Points to Electronic Ignition (vettfixr)

I have had both the original Pertronix Ignitor and the Ignitor II. Both used the magnetic ring. I think they discontinued the lobe sensor.
Old 02-19-2003, 06:09 PM
Jvette73
Safety Car

also I forgot to say...according to Pertronix the advantages of the Ignitor II are that you can run full 12v to the coil without a ballast resistor or resistor wire and you can run the hottest low resistance coils on the market for better spark charge. The original Ignitor also requires a 5 second wait with ignition key in on position to warm the ignitor before cranking. Supposedly the Ignitor II is ready to go instantly.
Old 02-19-2003, 06:17 PM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Converting from Points to Electronic Ignition (Jvette73)

I confused the Ignitor II with the lobe sensor unit. The lobe sensor is the one that gave people the most problems. I have the original and I don't have to wait 5 seconds to start it. In fact it starts as fast as my FI cars.
Old 02-19-2003, 06:49 PM
73 LS-4
Melting Slicks

I went the Mallory conversion way, seemed more reliable then the pertronix units given my survey on this board, no probs so far with it. Is the Crane unit the one with the built in rev limiter as well? I thought there was a new one that came out with a built in rev limiter.

:cheers:
Pat Kunz
Old 02-19-2003, 11:39 PM
Paul in Warren
Instructor

Default Re: Converting from Points to Electronic Ignition (73 LS-4)

The Mallory system installed on the '70 Stingray (used in our braking vids on our website) was an absolute "night and day" conversion allowing some serious HP to be unleashed - HIGHLY RECOMMEND !!!!
Old 02-20-2003, 10:48 AM
Corz
Team Owner

Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Re: Converting from Points to Electronic Ignition (73 LS-4)

Is the Crane unit the one with the built in rev limiter as well? I thought there was a new one that came out with a built in rev limiter.

:cheers:
Pat Kunz
thats the one :thumbs: thats the one reason i want it
Old 02-20-2003, 07:08 PM
Schwee
Instructor

I've done this several times and I recommend a rebuilt, stock later model (though not "computerized") Delco HEI distributor. Just make sure it has a vacuum advance and supply 12 volts to it. (Your current system probably has a resistor wire reducing voltage to the distributor.)
And get new plugs gapped at .045-.060.
Old 02-20-2003, 07:38 PM
Paul in Warren
Instructor

Default Re: Converting from Points to Electronic Ignition (Schwee)

The vacuum advance HEI swap is always a great idea, but the guys running the earlier models with the cable driven tach don't have that option. Yes, I have seen electronic tach conversions for older Sharks and I even remember seeing a cable drive tach model HEI provided by some aftermarket company somewhere (heck if I can remember where though!?)

All in all, the Mallory conversion is ultra reliable and we really like it for the older Sharks running a cable drive tach. If you have an electronic tach, by all means install the '74-'79 model vacuum advance HEI :flag

Get notified of new replies

To Converting from Points to Electronic Ignition

Quick Reply: Converting from Points to Electronic Ignition