C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New battery: conventional or Orbital?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2003, 02:22 PM
page62
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New battery: conventional or Orbital?

When I bought my Vette about a year ago, it had a new battery in it. Cheap junk $29 special new battery that is. Only 450 CCA. After having gone flat for the 3rd time (not always the fault of the battery), its goose is pretty much cooked.

So I went to my local Sam's Club to see what they had. I can get a conventional battery with 730 CCA for $49, or an Orbital battery with about the same rating for $99.

My car spends a good amount of time in the garage, so this battery needs to keep the clock running and the stereo remembering its settings for weeks at a time. Is there any good reason to spend the extra bucks on the Orbital?
Old 02-19-2003, 02:29 PM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Default Re: New battery: conventional or Orbital? (page62)

The Orbitals are good if you want a completely sealed battery and are worried about problems caused by vibration (off road racing).

For a street car, I would buy a good battery and a battery tender (trickle charger) for less than the price of the Orbital.
Old 02-19-2003, 11:22 PM
no_radio
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: New battery: conventional or Orbital? (page62)

I have an orbital in my '74. Bought it when the battery in my Suburban crapped out, put the old lead-acid battery from the '74 into the truck, then bought a new orbital for my '74. It died within a year, due to a faulty alternator (2 volts output wasn't cutting it). After realizing how bad the alternator had been I had a new respect for the battery. It also had a 3 year free replacement warranty, so I got a new one at no cost.
Bottom line, the orbitals are supposed to be better for cars that sit, and/or extreme vibration, temperature extremes, etc. For the 50 bones I'd buy the orbital...but I tend to be into overkill.
Jeff
Old 02-20-2003, 12:02 AM
Stoge
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: New battery: conventional or Orbital? (no_radio)

I just buy the cheapest one at Autozone. It has lasted 3 years so far.

Get notified of new replies

To New battery: conventional or Orbital?

Quick Reply: New battery: conventional or Orbital?