C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valve cover gaskets - how tight?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2003, 01:36 PM
R. Bruno
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valve cover gaskets - how tight?

Simple question. When changing valve cover gaskets, how tight should the bolts be?Thanks in advance.
Old 02-19-2003, 01:38 PM
82dukman
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Valve cover gaskets - how tight? (R. Bruno)

When I did mine I just tightened them until they were snug and then a 1/4 turn more. Just like when changing an oil filter. Too hard and they will create gaps in the gasket and leak
Old 02-19-2003, 01:41 PM
gmcclurg
Racer

Going from memory, I think the specs are about 120 inch pounds - not foot pounds - which probably equates to snug plus 1/4 turn as said above.
Old 02-19-2003, 02:15 PM
R. Bruno
Drifting

Default Re: Valve cover gaskets - how tight? (gmcclurg)

Any tricks on the gasket? I was going to clean both surfaces, put PCV on the cover side, then the gasket and then just bolt in place. Sound right?
Old 02-19-2003, 02:29 PM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 141 Likes on 124 Posts

Any tricks on the gasket? I was going to clean both surfaces, put PCV on the cover side, then the gasket and then just bolt in place. Sound right?
Above advice is Good........I use rubber gaskets and Cleaning the cover of all debris is key to a good seal. I also put the gasket on first let it sit for a while with something on it to help it seal, then put it on the engine
Old 02-19-2003, 02:53 PM
Gator81
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like to use MrGasket valve cover gaskets. They're cork with a thin film of compound on both sides, something like RTV. I use Gaska-Cinch or something similar to glue and seal the gasket to the valve cover, and let it set up. After cleaning the head sealing surface with solvent, I bolt the cover down, just past snug. Gluing the gasket to the cover means that when I eventually have to take the cover off, the entire gasket will come off with the cover and I won't worry about gasket chunks going down the oil holes.
Old 02-19-2003, 09:06 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I like to put studs in the head for the valve cover. You can buy extra long set screws and screw them into the head. After that you just place the gasket over the studs and then the valve cover over that. You will never again have a problem with the gasket slipping. Also if you ever screw up a stud just remove it and install a new one.
Old 02-19-2003, 09:19 PM
ram82fire
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Valve cover gaskets - how tight? (norvalwilhelm)

I also use the studs , I use 1/4 20 allen set screws . The socket head allows for easy installation and removal . I have been using the laminated cork style gaskets with the metal reinforcement ,no leaks or slippage . An additional advantage also they come in more than one thickness .

Geo
Old 02-20-2003, 12:08 PM
gliot1
Safety Car

Received 1,450 Likes on 755 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

I changed my gaskets last summer. I used the stock replacements; the factory torque settings, and have not had a leak. The only non-stock item I have are L-82 valve covers on a L-48. The cast aluminum covers are much more riged than the stamped covers. I was going to add permatex when doing it, but a Chrysler mechanic I know said if the orignal didn't use it, don't. Like wise he said most Chyslers use RTV only, so in that case its used. I followed that advice, and I have no leaks. Why GM didn't machine the lip where the valve cover binds to is beyond me. A nice flat machined surface about a quarter of an inch would have made life easy. That round lip is funky. :smash: :smash: :smash:

Get notified of new replies

To Valve cover gaskets - how tight?

Quick Reply: Valve cover gaskets - how tight?