C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP...antenna motor running

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2003, 09:31 AM
cookin1979
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP...antenna motor running

My wife was going to bed after our family had watched the movie Signs. She came back to the family room and told me she heard something out in the garage. This kinda creeped us all out! I got my ball bat and was ready to go "swing away." When I got out there, I realized it was the antenna motor on the vette buzzing away. The mast wasn't doing anything, just the motor grinding away. I quickly disconnected the battery cable.
How big a PITA is this to fix and/or replace? As I never listen to tunes in the car, what do I do to disconnect it and pretend this never happened? As always, any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 02-19-2003, 09:55 AM
Avette4me
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Default Re: HELP...antenna motor running (cookin1979)

On my '80, there is a connection on the driver side on top of the fender well inside the car. Relatively easy to get to, just pull the carpet back to expose it. There is a connection for the antenna as well as the power for the antenna.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-19-2003, 10:21 AM
98RKC
Melting Slicks

Default Re: HELP...antenna motor running (Avette4me)

On my '80, there is a connection on the driver side on top of the fender well inside the car. Relatively easy to get to, just pull the carpet back to expose it. There is a connection for the antenna as well as the power for the antenna.

Hope this helps.
:iagree:
I had to remove the speaker on the drivers side to help get to it. The nylon ribbon cable inside the mast probably broke. You can just leave it like it is (after disconnecting the power to it) and raise and lower it manually, or you can remove it, pop the black housing apart, and replace the ribbon cable. I bought a repair kit at my local chevy dealer for under 20 bucks. Make sure you lube the mast well during the install. Mine was real slow and I'm sure that had someting to do with the breakage in the first place.
It was NOT that big a deal.
Good luck :cheers:
Old 02-19-2003, 12:37 PM
Vader953
Instructor

Default Re: HELP...antenna motor running (n8370c)

Same thing happened to my 78 last year bud. Most of the time, the retractable mast is locked up, and you can just replace the mast in the motor mechanism. I just replaced the whole unit. You can find NOS AC Delco units everywhere, and they're all over EBAY. Going price is 100 to 125 dollars. Good luck, and holler at me if you need input on replacemnt.
Old 02-21-2003, 12:52 AM
Magnum '82
Racer

Default Re: HELP...antenna motor running (cookin1979)

Had it happen on my '82. The plastic "cable" broke and that allows the motor to keep running as the antenna doesn't come down and hit the limit switch. I think I got my rebuild kit from Ecklers. It is an easy job.

Get notified of new replies

To HELP...antenna motor running

Quick Reply: HELP...antenna motor running