C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Spring-Tire Spacing...HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2003, 08:46 AM
hawgn68
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Rear Spring-Tire Spacing...HELP!!

I come to the "Burning Bush" in search of knowledge and experience.

I've got a '73 I'm trying to set up for a Vintage Road Racing club I've got stock 8" rallys and 275/60's in the back. I put in a TRW composite spring (355 lb) with 9" bolts. Now with weight on the wheels, then end of the spring is less than 1/2" from the widest part of the the tire sidewall with the rear lowered to level. I doubt this will be sufficient spacing for tire flew under hard cornering. If I raise the spring to the hub area for clearance, the rear end looks like a high school kid's stationwagon with air shocks.

Last night I put the stock 9 leaf back on (thinking softer spring would raise the geometry for level profile) and the clearance is actually less. I've been reduced to using wheel spacers that give me an extra 1/4", but now the center of the wheel doesn't adequately sit on the spindle hub.

Other than going to smaller tires or wider wheels (I have to run 60/15's), the only options I see are increasing the camber of the wheels, unless there is a way to raise the apex of the spring mount.

Any suggestions???? Thanks,

Jimbo
Old 02-19-2003, 09:20 AM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Rear Spring-Tire Spacing...HELP!! (hawgn68)

With a steel spring it is no problem. Shorten the main leaf. I cut the end off my main leaf just past the hole. I then drilled another 3/4 inch hole. A spring is not that hard and with a sharp bit, lots of oil and slow speed it drills fine. After drilling this new 3/4 inch hole I measured half way between the two holes, that is the 3/4 inch holes , one on each end and drilled a new 3/8th hole for reassembling the spring.
Now my spring in total is shorter by the amount cut off. While installing the 2 9 inch bolts they will be a little crucked but once the load is on them they will look almost straight again.
I have driven on a spring like this for 10 years.

Quick Reply: Rear Spring-Tire Spacing...HELP!!