C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

annoying turn signal switch

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2003, 12:17 AM
77Dream
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default annoying turn signal switch

Here's the deal... my turn signal works fine but it does not automatically shut off after I complete my turn. I ALWAYS have to manually turn it off and sometimes I forget and look like an idiot who is going to make an "eventual left turn"

I found this part at Ecklers (#A8636):

I think this is what I need and want to know how hard it is to install. I have never taken apart my steering column before and it looks a little daunting. If any of you have done this before could you please tell me about your experience.

Thanks.

[Modified by 77Dream, 9:20 PM 2/18/2003]
Old 02-19-2003, 12:23 AM
Stoge
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: annoying turn signal switch (77Dream)

Steering column problems? Learn from my mistakes!!! Just rip your original column out and throw it in the trash. Then buy a new steering column and install. Problem fixed. :jester :jester

Here's the deal... my turn signal works fine but it does not automatically shut off after I complete my turn. I ALWAYS have to manually turn it off and sometimes I forget and look like an idiot who is going to make an "eventual left turn"

I found this part at Ecklers (#A8636):
http://www.ecklers.com/assets/product_images/A8636.jpg

I think this is what I need and want to know how hard it is to install. I have never taken apart my steering column before and it looks a little daunting. If any of you have done this before could you please tell me about your experience.

Thanks.
I looked at that part you are thinking about getting from Eckler's. I would take my steering column apart enough to try to find the identical part in your column. If that piece is broke, then you've found the problem.

I will give you one good word of advice. If you don't have an AIM, get one. I am trying to work on my car right now without one, and its just not going that well without the graphical instructions the AIM gives you. Dang backorders!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-19-2003, 12:58 PM
72GACRZR
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I haven't but Jim Shea has and wrote it up in the steering section of corvettefaq.
If you haven't seen his articles you need to go here
http://www.corvettefaq.com/steering.asp

And read them, they will help. :seeya
Old 02-19-2003, 01:52 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

I believe that the turn signal switch in your vette has two little torsion springs that contact those little projections that are shown around the hub of the cancelling cam in your photograph.

One (or both) of the springs have probably become detached. From the looks of the cancelling cam, I think that you have a T&T column in your '77. You can look up my directions as posted at http://www.corvettefaq.com, and download Tilt & Telescoping Column 69-82 Disassembly & Repair Paper #1 as well as T&T Column 69-82 D&R Pics #1. Also the Tilt & Telescoping 77-82 Steering Wheel and Horn Parts (Picture) may be helpful in disassembling the telescoping lock mechanism and the horn button and contact parts.

With the above instructions, you should be able to get to the turn signal switch. If you are lucky, all you might find is that you have to reattach the little torsion spring back onto the switch.

If the turn signal switch is broken, you will probably have to download T&T Column D&R Paper #2 as well as T&T Column D&R Pic #3. You are now going to have to do further disassembly work on your column. The instructions are quite complete. So I really wouldn't be afraid of doing the job yourself.

BTW, you are lucky again, the T&T turn signal switch for the 1977 T&T column is still available from any GM dealer. The part number is 1997984 (and is only about $30).

Good luck,
And remember, further help is only this websight away.
Old 02-19-2003, 05:16 PM
77Dream
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: annoying turn signal switch (Jim Shea)

Thanks Jim, I think I will tackle that steering column this weekend. :smash:

Get notified of new replies

To annoying turn signal switch

Quick Reply: annoying turn signal switch