C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone else feel like beating up the previous owner of your vette?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2003, 12:04 AM
Captain_Kaboom
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone else feel like beating up the previous owner of your vette?

As I am trying make this old car decent, I find my self wanting to curse at whoever did some things to this vette more and more. This guy, whoever it was, used a ton of GLUE to hold down part of these ground effects/plastic rocker things. I'm trying to put my original rocker panels back on, and now I find myself trying to figure out how to get this glue off my car without it taking the paint off, too. Not only that, but the rocker screw holes still have the original screws in them- with the heads cut off, and then painted over. &*@#(@^%#$.

Oh yeah, the speakers are also held in place with goobs of glue. I can't wait to see what else I find taking this beast apart....

I think we need a vette abuse hotline.
Old 02-19-2003, 12:09 AM
Kenzy
Racer

Default Re: Anyone else feel like beating up the previous owner of your vette? (Captain_Kaboom)

:yesnod:
Old 02-19-2003, 12:19 AM
battsup
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Anyone else feel like beating up the previous owner of your vette? (Captain_Kaboom)

Anyone else feel like beating up the previous owner of your vette?

no not really, the previous owner was my dad :lol:
Old 02-19-2003, 12:28 AM
Metal Wulf
Race Director

Default Re: Anyone else feel like beating up the previous owner of your vette? (battsup)

:boxing

[Modified by Metal_Wulf, 12:28 AM 2/19/2003]
Old 02-19-2003, 12:32 AM
Elaine Newman
Advanced

I did for a long time. He apparently used to matt it out from a dead stop; therefore the first thing I had to have done was the rear end. There was a lot; and I mean a lot of play in the rear wheels. It's great now thanks to my mechanic/race car driver. :cheers: :iagree:
Old 02-19-2003, 12:33 AM
XLAR8R
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 4 Posts

:iagree:
Old 02-19-2003, 12:47 AM
The_Dude
Team Owner

Received 473 Likes on 140 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '16-'17

No, he made all the improvements and then had to sell it to prevent a divorce. Apparently, he was spending a little too much time in the garage with the car. All his work was excellent. :hurray:
Old 02-19-2003, 12:51 AM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

My poor grandma... :sad:

-Steve
Old 02-19-2003, 02:14 AM
Desertdawg
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: Anyone else feel like beating up the previous owner of your vette? (Pacin'California)

My poor grandma... :sad:

-Steve

WAIT!!!!!

Steve, Please don't beat up your grandmother.....He was joking.... :jester
Old 02-19-2003, 05:29 AM
Mystery Machine
Drifting

The guy that had mine before me tried to get some serious performance out of it but did everything wrong (IMO) he put a 292 CAM on a base L48 engine and then stuck an 850cfm carb on there. BUT he left the rusty old 2" pipes with no headers! I basically had to pull it out and start over, then when I found out the crank was scarred up pretty bad and a bearing was gone I dropped in the ZZ4.

Things are better now! :thumbs:
Old 02-19-2003, 05:44 AM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: Anyone else feel like beating up the previous owner of your vette? (Mystery Machine)

When I found blocks of wood wedged under the headlights to hold them in place (together w/a whole lot of bondo on the headerbar and light frames) I was happy to find some fuel for the fireplace :crazy:
Old 02-19-2003, 06:33 AM
Graemeinvette
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Anyone else feel like beating up the previous owner of your vette? (Twin_Turbo)

:mad Been here before :mad Just dont get me started :rant: :rant: :rant:
Old 02-19-2003, 06:37 AM
needforspeed2
Advanced

Default Re: Anyone else feel like beating up the previous owner of your vette? (Graemeinvette)

I'm there now ! :cuss Lotsa duct tape, wire and rust keeping it together. Basically sound though, just a ton of fun to get back together :jester
Old 02-19-2003, 06:48 AM
foundvettelifeisgood
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 183 Likes on 86 Posts

Default Re: Anyone else feel like beating up the previous owner of your vette? (Twin_Turbo)

When I found blocks of wood wedged under the headlights to hold them in place (together w/a whole lot of bondo on the headerbar and light frames) I was happy to find some fuel for the fireplace :crazy:
You mean those blocks of wood weren't stock? Check to see if their numbers match. :lol:
Old 02-19-2003, 07:34 AM
dman535
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Anyone else feel like beating up the previous owner of your vette? (foundvettelifeisgood)

Previous owner left the car idlng at a party for three hours and burned a piston. I went in search of the original engine, but god knows where it is now.
Old 02-19-2003, 09:13 AM
J75
Racer

Default Re: Anyone else feel like beating up the previous owner of your vette? (dman535)

We may not like how they did things or what we find after the fact.I can only blame myself for anything I missed.After the big spill of everything he had done all I could say is :bs .To me it did not really matter.It was a #s car and solid body,good for a resto.The only surprise I got was rust in one corner of the ws frame.I say to anyone,before you buy have it checked by someone who really knows these cars.If you feel confident yourself great,I did and there were times I questioned it.After a full resto I am quite sure I know how to pick one apart now.
Old 02-19-2003, 09:39 AM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Anyone else feel like beating up the previous owner of your vette? (Mystery Machine)

Actually the previous owner of my 69 only drove it 300 (three hundred) mile in 8 years. He even saved the tank sticker. He left it on jacks stands most of the time. Everthing he did was either left original or replaced with a quality repro. Only ONE Bubba upgrade.. That was a hole in the left front inner fender well for spark plug access. I appears that he was waiting for BB prices to go up!! Prices For BB's sky rocketed about six months after he sold it... It's usually the oppiste for me but this time I did OK. :hurray:

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone else feel like beating up the previous owner of your vette?

Old 02-19-2003, 10:01 AM
MYBLU71
Racer

Default Re: Anyone else feel like beating up the previous owner of your vette? (silvervetteman)

:withstupid: I keep finding places where "Bubba" has been... It has been a fun journey though. I am getting more and more of the mechanical out of the way and restoring the rest. Well, off to the garage for more "fun"...
Old 02-19-2003, 10:05 AM
SanDiegoPaul
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think we need a vette abuse hotline.

Harrumph! :smash:

Mine was kinda neglected. The front end was clunking and fallin' out of it. All upkeep was done by the local cheapo places - it had a JiffyLube window sticker on it (and it was due). The brakes were done - and then redone (I have the paperwork) by CheapoBrakes two years ago, then when he wanted it painted he took it to Earl Schieb.

Oh, the humanity.
Old 02-19-2003, 10:37 AM
1971Ultra
Racer

Default Re: Anyone else feel like beating up the previous owner of your vette? (SanDiegoPaul)

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

Quick Reply: Anyone else feel like beating up the previous owner of your vette?