C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone used the Holley Q-Jet replacement carb?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2003, 01:57 PM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Has anyone used the Holley Q-Jet replacement carb?

I was browsing through the Corvettefaq today and saw an article from ZIP on replacing the Q-Jet on a 74 with a Holley. They said they used a 4175 Q-Jet replacement carb and thought it ran pretty good. Has anyone had any experience with these carbs, good or bad?
Old 02-18-2003, 03:47 PM
redwingvette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 140 Likes on 74 Posts

Default Re: Has anyone used the Holley Q-Jet replacement carb? (vettfixr)

I have it on my 73. Check out my home page for setup. Went on without any big problems but: the air cleaner didn't fit until I made a 1/2" spacer, the discharge nozzles are larger than I needed, and the taped hole in the base for the power brake line is smaller so I had to use an adaptor. The air cleaner hit on the vacuum secondary module. The discharge nozzles are 0.040" so it pours gas when you step on it so I played around with different sizes until I found the one that worked best for my setup (0.025). I also bought the cams to adjust the accelerator pump.
Old 02-18-2003, 06:24 PM
PatG
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have one but I thought the number was 4160. Might be a different model. To install it I had to put 2 thick gaskets between it and my edelbrock intake. The air cleaner would hit the vacuum fitting on the back of the manifold. Also had to widen the groove in the accelerator cable attachment boss to get the stock clip to go on. The carb works great on my car. I have done one rebuild on it about a year ago because the rear accelerator pump developed a leak.
Old 02-18-2003, 06:59 PM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for the replies. It sounds like the only problems are just the usual one's when changing to a non-stock item. I'm still not sure whether I want to go this way or with an Edelbrock or a standard Holly/Demon. I'm still leaning toward the Edelbrock on for the fact that they leak a lot less than Holley/Demons and I hate leaks. Again, thanks for the replies.

Get notified of new replies

To Has anyone used the Holley Q-Jet replacement carb?

Quick Reply: Has anyone used the Holley Q-Jet replacement carb?