C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any advice on painting wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2003, 10:06 AM
SLO RDE
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any advice on painting wheels?

Hi I want to paint my wheels over. Somebody did it before me and its full of runs and chips. I've done this before and had pretty good luck.I was going to take the wheels down and have them sandblasted then bring home and prime them and then paint with rally wheel paint from Eastwood.Is that the "correct" type of paint to use?Iam wondering about the drying of the paint? I don't want problems with chiping when I put the trim back on.Could the body shop do a better job of painting and drying?Thanks Dale
Old 02-18-2003, 10:53 AM
GREGG-73
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Any advice on painting wheels? (SLO RDE)

After whatever prep you have in mind to take the wheels down to bare metal, be sure to remove all the moisture in the metal before you prime them. This can be done in several ways. I used a propane torch, which worked very nice as you can see the moiture disapate.

You can use heat lamps for drying and curing or a small electric heater that does not blow air-don't want to blow a bunch of dust and whatnot onto the painted surface. Light sanding to scruff, between coats 2-primer 2-3 final/finish coats with 8 hrs drying time in between coats depending on your local and the area your doing this in.

Paint, I am not sure about, but it's everywhere on the WWW, so get what you need/like and have at it. I am certain this forum will give you more info then you desire, so take what you like and delete the rest.

:lolg: :jester :cheers:

Quick Reply: Any advice on painting wheels?