C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dumping electronic controls and pollution equip on 81 - need advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2003, 07:23 AM
914eener
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Dumping electronic controls and pollution equip on 81 - need advice

I've decided to get rid of the electronic engine controls and all of the pollution equipment on my 81. There's no pollution check in WV and none on the horizon.

I'm not looking for anything radical, just want some additional hp. I've already added a dual exhaust and alum rad with SPALs. I'm changing to a Carter 625 cfm carb, Edelbrock Performer ESP intake, Hedman headers, increasing compression with a different head gasket and possibly a cam swap with roller rockers.

What I need is some help with is ignition options. What have you guys used for an ignition that was a painless swap when you've gone the route I'm going.
Old 02-18-2003, 07:55 AM
UKPaul
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: Dumping electronic controls and pollution equip on 81 - need advice (914eener)

Are you literally getting rid of all the stuff? If so, would you be interested in selling the carb?
I think the choice of coil & dist would depend on what rpms you want to run at in the future. If you intend to run at high rpms then you'll need something that can produce an accurate & strong spark at those rpms (just something to be aware of).
Thanks
Paul
Old 02-18-2003, 09:10 AM
page62
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Dumping electronic controls and pollution equip on 81 - need advice (914eener)

Personally, I'd stick with an HEI-style distributor. When GM gets it right (like in this case), it's a good thing. Just pick up your Summit or Jegs catalog and pick one.

Also, if you're doing headers you should consider ceramic coated ones. A lot of forum members are recommending Dynomax Ceramicoat units. Good bang for the buck.

But what are you going to do about the TH350C tranny?
Old 02-18-2003, 10:54 AM
The Money Pit
Melting Slicks

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Default Re: Dumping electronic controls and pollution equip on 81 - need advice (page62)

The CCC unit has it's little mits on everything.I suggest you leave the processer intact,and try to islolate one system at a time.Air injection,just rip and tear,carb,shouldn't be a problem.Distributer,I'd go for a Pertronix Flamethrower.The converter lockup I'm not sure how you'll have to deal with that.Might want to call a transmission shop.
I pulled the little silver box out of an 80 TransAm prior to my knowledge of CCC,and spent a couple days trying to figure out why I had no spark.I thaught the box was part of a stereo system someone had rigged up.
Live and learn. :banghead:

Get notified of new replies

To Dumping electronic controls and pollution equip on 81 - need advice

Quick Reply: Dumping electronic controls and pollution equip on 81 - need advice