C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I watched the engine builder tear down my engine today-really good news

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2003, 09:45 PM
hudman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I watched the engine builder tear down my engine today-really good news

I was at the engine shop today and watched the guy tear down my motor. I learned some interesting things. My problems are the result of a crappy repair job that was done about a year before I got the car. A new valve train was installed with new cam, lifters, pushrods, rockers, springs, etc. They just did a bad job. The valves were adjusted way too tight, which was my lack of low end power problem. The valve train was justed messed up big time. The push rods looked fine and we did not immediately notice any that were bent. The cam looked fine. What was creating the noise, however, was there was an excessive amount cam walk. They did not put a cam button on the timing chain and the cam just had way too much walk in it. The engine builder describe it to me as a big screw that was trying to screw itself out of the my block! It was sliding out and had slid out far enough for the chain to be popping the ugly chrome aftermarket timing chain cover. That was the noise I was hearing. The chain was scarred and so was the inside of the cover. I guess we could have fixed that without the motor coming out.

What was interesting though is the beating that the rocker arms and the retainer clips had already taken. Roughly half of the rocker arms had already worn flat spots on them and several of the spring retainer clips were badly worn and flattened on some of the sides. The guy said it looked as if some of the parts had 80,000 miles on them, not the 2-3K that I think were on the parts. He showed me some old trash parts out of other rebuilds, and mine looked as bad as those. The rockers looked new on the top, but flip em over and they were trashed. I know I have only put 1500 miles on the car and I got the impression the work was not done very long before I bought the car. Without catching it now, one of the clips would have let go and it would have dropped a valve for sure. Then we would have had big problems.

Anyway, I guess it is a good thing. It just was not as trashed in there as I thought it would be. By pulling the motor I am going to have it rebuilt and get it how I want it. I am also going to have the opportunity to clean up, repaint and detail the engine bay, new clutch, jet hot the headers, etc.

I will spend some money, but it will be right.

I will post before and afters once I finish.

[Modified by hudman, 2:47 AM 2/18/2003]
Old 02-17-2003, 10:11 PM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 146 Likes on 128 Posts

Default Re: I watched the engine builder tear down my engine today-really good news (hudman)

That is really ashame that someone sold you a car in that condition.. I would be pizzed. But at least you caught it before any major damage occured. At least now you can set it up the way you want it. Is it a numbers matching motor.........BTW how are things going for ya?? I have not heard from you in a while.......

[Modified by Alwyn678, 10:12 PM 2/17/2003]
Old 02-17-2003, 10:27 PM
Marks69BB
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: I watched the engine builder tear down my engine today-really good news (hudman)

Great news bro! Another just-in-time story! As we both know, it could have been a lot worse. Let me know if you need help detailing while the engine's out. I'll be in town until the end of the month so glad to help if you're planning on doing that part yourself. :cheers:
Old 02-17-2003, 11:20 PM
Chris69
Burning Brakes

Great news! I know you thought it was going to be a nightmare in there, but it looks like it's not so bad. :cheers: When do you think you'll have it back together?

Hey Mark... where you going???

Old 02-17-2003, 11:30 PM
hudman
Racer

Default Re: I watched the engine builder tear down my engine today-really good news (Chris81)

I would have to think that it is going to take 3-4 weeks. I have a lot of stuff to buy and restore, so I am not going to push them.

I saw a post where Mark got a new job in Greensboro. I hate he is moving.
Old 02-17-2003, 11:46 PM
Chris69
Burning Brakes

I hate he is moving.
Yeah, me too. :( Greensboro has a big vette club, so he'll be right at home in no time.
Old 02-18-2003, 01:32 PM
Tominator
Drifting

Now is a good time to start taking pictures.
Old 02-18-2003, 01:33 PM
JB
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: I watched the engine builder tear down my engine today-really good news (Chris81)

Good news, h-man. That's the problem with any used car, of course--you just can't know what the quality is on the past internal repairs. Glad you're not looking at really big problems.

JB

Get notified of new replies

To I watched the engine builder tear down my engine today-really good news

Quick Reply: I watched the engine builder tear down my engine today-really good news