C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

T Top weatherstripping

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2003, 06:02 PM
CF6873
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Default T Top weatherstripping

Hi all, I'm in the process of installing the T top weatherstripping on the 73 project car and when I try to install the T top the weatherstripping wants to protrude down between the center bar and the top. Is this correct or should it stay up on top of the center bar? It stays on top at the front windshield header as well as the rear area. If it is correct to protrude down it will have to be squeezed at the front and rear corners as it makes this transition. This car didn't have any weatherstripping on it when I got it and I have no experience with T tops prior to now. Thanks for any help you can share. Craig :auto:
Old 02-17-2003, 06:39 PM
PatG
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: T Top weatherstripping (CF6873)

It should not protrude down but stay between the t-bar and the t-top. You may want to gently push the weatherstrip into position with a putty knife or screwdriver but be very careful to not rip the skin. Do this before you secure the latches. You can treat the weatherstrip with armor all or even vasoline to help it slide into place. Once you get it right the weatherstrip should compress and eventually should go on correctly without having to mess with it.
Old 02-17-2003, 09:03 PM
CF6873
Melting Slicks

Default Re: T Top weatherstripping (PatG)

Pat, Thanks very much for the info. I suspected that it should stay on top but it will have to do some conforming to go there without pushing it in place. Craig :seeya
Old 02-17-2003, 09:09 PM
FeedVaal
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: T Top weatherstripping (CF6873)

I found that it was best to take the install in stages. I loosened the bayonettes and latches fully then laid the t-tops in place, examining how they lay without pressure. Then slowly tightened all the adjustments over a period of a few days a little at a time. This gave the rubber a period to compress in stages. I may have been a little **** but I only wanted to do it once.

Incidently, Vasoline destroys rubber. KY jelly or dielectric grease is a better choice for a lubricant. :yesnod:
Old 02-17-2003, 09:34 PM
goinbroke
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: T Top weatherstripping (FeedVaal)

I've used the same system as FeedVaal ( installing in stages) and consider it the best way. It takes a little longer, but the end result is worth the effort. It works even better in hot weather. The rubber gets softer and seats itself more easily. Adding some lube is also a good idea. I used a silicone lube called Sly-Glyde from Napa that worked very well. I've seem some posts about a GM weatherstripping lube and preservative but the Chevy parts house in my area didn't carry it and claimed they couldn't get it.

[Modified by goinbroke, 8:40 PM 2/17/2003]
Old 02-18-2003, 06:56 PM
CF6873
Melting Slicks

Default Re: T Top weatherstripping (goinbroke)

Thanks guys for the helpful advice. Craig :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To T Top weatherstripping

Quick Reply: T Top weatherstripping