C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aluminum intake plating/ coatings ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2003, 03:30 PM
SmokedTires
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05

Default Aluminum intake plating/ coatings ?

What is a good choice for plating/ coating aluminum for a polished aluminum look ? I want something that will protect the aluminum from oxidation but also be resistant to heat & fluids. Also is there anything for aluminum heads for the same effects/ results? I'm not sure if chrome plating would be the best solution here or powder coating or anodizing :confused: .

TIA :cheers:
Old 02-17-2003, 04:14 PM
Bearcat
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Aluminum intake plating/ coatings ? (SmokedTires)

Considering the candy apple red color of your car, I would go and get some of that new annodized red engine enamel. It is transparent red and goes best over shiny aluminum. It does not need to be polished first. It's better if you don't, better adhesion.

If a couple bucks for a can of paint is just not exotic enough, then I might suggest having it ceramic coated and then buffed. But jeeze, for that kind of investment, it would cost just as much to get the aluminum polished.

I sort of like the annodized red paint idea actually. Then you can get the annodized red Moroso valve covers to match. You'll have that engine looking just like the exterior of your car, which would be killer at a car show.
BTW, you can now even get air filter covers annodized red.
:cool:
Old 02-17-2003, 04:25 PM
Monty
Le Mans Master

Powder coating or ceramic coating would do that and probably be alot easier to do than true anodizing or electroplating, at least that's been my expereince. Most anodizing or e-plating shops typically operate on an industrial scale, although there are some that will take small jobs. You'll probably just have to call around and see if they are willing to do it, and if their pricing is acceptable to you.

I would be skeptical of any kind of aerosol paint or "anodizing" as they don't get as hard and chip/chemical resistant as a catalyzed or baked on process like powder coating. You also don't want anything like a clear coat which would yellow over time from the heat, ozone, and chemicals typical in an engine compartment.

This is also a concern of mine as the majority of my engine compartment is filled with billet or sheetmetal aluminum. It was time consuming to do, but I buffed/polished everything with a buffing wheel and compound to get the initial smoothness and appearance, and now I maintain it with Never-Dull (treated cotton-appearing wadding). About 15 minutes every 2-3 weeks and it stays looking freshly polsihed.

I haven't used it yet, or know anyone that has, but I recently saw a new product from Zoop's for aluminum which I beleive is some kind of user applied two-part application or process which they claim will prevent oxidation and maintain a freshly polished appearance for up to 2 years. I've noticed it advertised in all the car mags this past month.
Old 02-17-2003, 04:29 PM
Bearcat
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Aluminum intake plating/ coatings ? (Monty)

I was skeptical too, Monty, but the darn stuff works pretty good! It seems almost too easy to be true, but so far so good on the stuff I've painted.
Old 02-17-2003, 06:23 PM
SmokedTires
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05

Default Re: Aluminum intake plating/ coatings ? (Bearcat)

Thanks Bearcat & Monty. I have ceramic spray paint for the block & whatever valve covers I go with. My plan is to paint the block & valve covers red & then offset them with the aluminum heads & intake with a shiny polished look. :)
Old 02-17-2003, 06:51 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

YES! I like something different too, I had an orange engine but redid the whole thing in stainless steel and the intake in some sort of dark gray metallic.

Did you know you can do anodizing at home? All it takes is a battery charger, water, tin foil, battery(sulfuric) acid, nitric acid and clothes dye. http://www.warpig.com/paintball/technical/anodize.shtml

It will only loog good on machined or smooth surfaces though.

Get notified of new replies

To Aluminum intake plating/ coatings ?

Quick Reply: Aluminum intake plating/ coatings ?