C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new to the forum/throttle problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2003, 09:52 AM
clem68
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new to the forum/throttle problem

I just bought a 68, L-68 4-speed coupe with factory air.My problem is at half throttle and higher the throttle sticks,is this a common problemand what should I do? Thanks in advance clem. :jester
Old 02-17-2003, 10:13 AM
Avette4me
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Default Re: new to the forum/throttle problem (clem68)

Can't help you with this one but wanted to say welcome. I'm sure that you will get plaenty of help here. I know I have. :party:
Old 02-17-2003, 10:33 AM
BB wowbagger
Melting Slicks

Default Re: new to the forum/throttle problem (Avette4me)

Check the returnspring and throttle wire for kinks and such..Maybe :D :cheers: :cheers:

Welcome to the pond :cheers:
Old 02-17-2003, 10:38 AM
Fevre
Race Director

I had a similar problem with mine since the orig q-jet had been replaced with a holley using the orig throttle cable. The actual cable was cutting into the platic cover between the throttle bracket and carb. I cut the cover back to almost to the bracket along with using a little firmer spring and have had no problems since.
Old 02-17-2003, 10:45 AM
Metal Wulf
Race Director

Default Re: new to the forum/throttle problem (Fevre)

:seeya
Old 02-17-2003, 11:23 AM
clem68
Cruising

Default Re: new to the forum/throttle problem (Fevre)

Fevre, thanks for your help my holleys 3x2s don't have a plastic cover but I can see I need a stronger spring. Are there different cables used between a four barrel and 3x2s? clem68 :banghead:
Old 02-17-2003, 11:35 AM
Fevre
Race Director

Fevre, thanks for your help my holleys 3x2s don't have a plastic cover but I can see I need a stronger spring. Are there different cables used between a four barrel and 3x2s? clem68 :banghead:
Sorry but I am not sure. After thinking about it a little more I now remember it was the floating plastic sleeve that was causing the problem not the actual platic cable casing. I am unsure as to what purpose the sleeve served but it did nothing but get hung up on the casing causing the throttle sticking I had. It has a flared end toward throttle lever side that must allow the cable to slide in and out with hanging up. I cut the sleeve and case back some and then pushed the sleeve onto the exposed metal portion of the cabel casing. Now the cable slides in and out with causing the sleeve to get caught up. Wish I had a digital camera to take a pic and show you.
Old 02-17-2003, 11:39 AM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Clem68, Even tho I also have a 68 bigblock I can't really tell you what's going on with yours because the tripower is quite different from the Qjet. I did have a throttle sticking problem which I thought was the carb but turned out to be the linkage hanging up on the aircleaner base. Short term solution was to double up on the throttle return springs - the stronger spring pulled the linkage past the sticky spot. The permanent solution was even easier: Once I figured out what was going on I just bent the linkage slightly so it cleared the air cleaner base. I also put in double gaskets on top of the carb which raised the air cleaner base by about 1mm... )

Also, inspect the linkage and air cleaner base very carefully to see if there are any scrapes or signs of contact. MJ
Old 02-17-2003, 12:28 PM
clem68
Cruising

Default Re: (MNJack)

MNJack,I just inspected the air cleaner base and it does have scrapes on it.I will follow Your suggestions andFERVES .Thanks again, this forum is great. POOL PARTY my house july, 12 miles south of nashville. clem 68. :thumbs:

Get notified of new replies

To new to the forum/throttle problem

Quick Reply: new to the forum/throttle problem