C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

454HO mechanical fuel pump pushrod question??

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2003, 07:36 PM
ORVette
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 454HO mechanical fuel pump pushrod question??

I was going to install my fuel pump last night. I bought a pushrod for the 454, gave it a shot of assembly lube, and stuck it up the hole. About 1/2 way in it bound up and wouldn't go any further. So, being the F%#@*&ng genius that I am, I tapped it with a hammer. Well, I finally got it back out after 30 minutes of trying to pull on the 1/2" length of lubed rod that was still exposed! DON'T REPEAT THIS ON YOUR ENGINE! Anyway, what acn the problem be? The rod fits like a glove as far as the first half goes. works smooth with no slop. Appreciate any insight.
Old 02-16-2003, 07:45 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: 454HO mechanical fuel pump pushrod question?? (ORVette)

I don't use mechanical pumps but isn't one of the bolt on the front of the engine block used to hold the rod in place while assembling. I believe one of these bolts goes through into the side of the pump shaft . Loosen the bolt on the front of the block or better yet take it right out and the rod should slide right up to the cam then install the bolt and snug it agianst the rod to hold it in place.
I am just guessing here since like I said I never use mechanical pumps.
Good luck
I am sure someone else will set us both straight.
Old 02-16-2003, 07:45 PM
1979toy
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure about a big block but on a small block there is a bolt on the front of the engine that you remove and replace with a longer bolt to hold the rod in place when you replace the pump. Could your engine have the same feature and have too long of a rod installed?
Old 02-16-2003, 07:48 PM
Aaron-74
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think It's hitting the cam shaft and you'll have to roll the motor over until it's on the base circle of the cam..A little trick is to cover it in lube and stick it in the freezer for about 30 minutes. Then the lube on the rod will stick to the cam.

Hope this helps..

Aaron

(when I replaced my fuel pump rod with an ARP I had no bolt on the front to hold the rod in place...what bolt are you talking about???)

[Modified by Aaron-74, 6:50 PM 2/16/2003]
Old 02-16-2003, 09:36 PM
ORVette
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On my block, there is an access hole that has a plug below where the fuel pump mounts. You remove the plug and that's how you get the pump rod up in the hole. I think I remember SB's having a big enough opening that the rod comes right out the hole where the pump mounts. Anyway, I'll check the bolt thing, and I'll try the freezer trick too. I just don't want to have the thing go up in there cold, and then bind when it comes up to temp again. Thanks for the help.

Get notified of new replies

To 454HO mechanical fuel pump pushrod question??

Quick Reply: 454HO mechanical fuel pump pushrod question??