C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Project Update: 700R4 and rear suspension upgrade.

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2003, 04:48 PM
Budman68
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

Default Project Update: 700R4 and rear suspension upgrade.

Well the new trannys is in and the measurements for the driveshaft are noted. Later this week I will try to fit a 80-82 crossmember in and start the trimming. If that does not work I am buying a crossmember from Competition Suspension and weld it up.

One issue that I need to figure out is the alum. driveshaft is very tight and may be to hard to install. It may have to be installed the same time the pumpkin is installed.

New Tranny installed.

Late Model Alum. covette driveshaft.

91-93 Chevy truck starter which still needs to be painted and cleaned up.

Shifter rebuilt with new gate and bushings. Just like new. I bought one of those chrome *****, but it came in damaged also.

[Modified by Budman78, 4:14 PM 2/16/2003]
Old 02-16-2003, 10:15 PM
Ghostrider
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Project Update: 700R4 and rear suspension upgrade. (Budman78)

I used the leather C4 **** from a late model Firebird/Camero. Did you plan for the "Painless Performance" lock up conversion relay Part 60109 for 700R4 TRANSMISSION TORQUE CONVERTER kit to control the lockup converter on overdrive transmission with carburetor? A vacuum controlled 4th gear pressure switch/lock up solenoid combination controls the lockup. http://www.painlessperformance.com/connectr.htm

[Modified by Ghostrider, 10:16 PM 2/16/2003]
Old 02-17-2003, 08:48 AM
78Vette-SA
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One issue that I need to figure out is the alum. driveshaft is very tight and may be to hard to install. It may have to be installed the same time the pumpkin is installed.
Looks like fun...

By too tight on the driveshaft, do you mean not enough slack where the yoke slides over the shaft to get it on to then bolt up the u-joint. If that's the case, and you probably already know this, I'd have it shortened a few pubes or else it would be pounding in the end of the tailshaft on hard pumps I would imagine. :eek:
Old 02-17-2003, 07:06 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

I shortened my original Muncie driveshaft when going to the 700r4, I took the 700 and the stick setup parts, and put the bellhousings face down on the kitchen floor (unmarried at the time) tailshafts up and used a framing square to measure the differant lengths, and offsets on tailshaft mountings...worked perfect....rebuilt the frame mounting 'shoe' to the new spec, and bolted it all in...

GENE
Old 02-17-2003, 07:53 PM
Budman68
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

Default Re: Project Update: 700R4 and rear suspension upgrade. (mrvette)

Ghost rider, I using my ECM to lock up the convertor.
Old 02-17-2003, 08:11 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Bud, I have found some interesting things with MY 700 and the lockup on the L98 type injection, and the 'manual' lockup....still controlled by the internal valve switches in the tranny....
and too boot, then the first ~4 years of operation having a 'loose' 2k lock vette converter...and then now having a truck converter for allmost a year....

the vette converter is somewhat easier to drive in being looser, the idle of my engine at 800 rpm's or so is easier to controll, and the brakes are ot so hard at stoplights....but that loose slopy feeling was irritating as hell, I could NOT feel the shifts, in the computer mode....unlocked untill 50 mph....
NOW IF I flipped the switch to 'manual' mode....the tranny would lock in second, third, forth gears, and AFAIK never unlock untill brakes pressed, obviously....that made the upshifts feel GOOD....but in fact may have hastened the 3/4 clutch pak failure last spring...can't win....

SO I put in a tighter truck convertor and now the shifts are felt more firmle in the the computer mode...unlocked untill 50 mph....and is more acceptable 'feel' wise in traffic.....but I can still flip to the previous mode...locked as soon as 2nd++ gears are engaged....

thing is NOW with the tight converter....I have an idle issue...tired of holding brake so hard at lights, I flip into neutral...even when coming to a stop..much less pedal pressure to stop car....and when stopped, the engine rev's up to 1500 rpm.s before returning to idle.....I have cleaned the t-body...so that's not it....

I dunno, I just miss the super solid shifts my old 400 turbo had in the goat...
damn thing would break my neck it was so hard....converter slop and all....

it's not that the thing is a super BEAR to drive, but the wifey-poo would like something less 'wired' I suspect....

GENE

Get notified of new replies

To Project Update: 700R4 and rear suspension upgrade.

Quick Reply: Project Update: 700R4 and rear suspension upgrade.