C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chrome alternator for '79?? Any Ideas??

Old 02-16-2003, 04:23 PM
vicrattlehead
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Chrome alternator for '79?? Any Ideas??

Hi All,
I need a new alternator for my '79, and I'd like to get a chrome version for a little shine. I'm finding it hard to locate a chrome altenator that is a direct replacement for my stock unit. There are plenty of chrome "one-wires" out there, but mine has the two-wire plastic connector on top and two other wire hook-ups on the back of the casing. Where can I get a chrome unite that will work? Thanks in advance!!!!
Old 02-16-2003, 05:06 PM
Aaron76
Pro

Default Re: Chrome alternator for '79?? Any Ideas?? (vicrattlehead)

If that is what you want then I would sugest that you get a rebuild kit and when you have it all apart send out the parts to be Chromed at a local shop.
if you want I think that I have a set of instructions that details rebuilding an alternator. Just let me know. :cheers:
Old 02-16-2003, 05:40 PM
mountainshark76
Instructor

checker auto parts here in denver is were i got my two wire plug type. a one wire is the same alt. but just has an internal jumper from the main hot post to the closest voltage regulator pin [one of your 2 wires] convert a one wire
or email me and i will pick one up from checker for you about $110.00 :cheers:
Old 02-16-2003, 05:53 PM
yellow 72
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Get yourself a cheapy remanufactured from your local parts house then contact Yearwood Speed & Custom, they have super prices on chrome cases. Just put the guts in the shiney new case and your rockin'...cheapest way to go :cheers:
Old 02-17-2003, 01:17 AM
Justin79-L-82
Pro

Default Re: Chrome alternator for '79?? Any Ideas?? (yellow 72)

I just got the chrome casing for mine.. It took about an hour to switch all the parts, and it was really cheap too.
Old 02-17-2003, 05:16 AM
lou
Racer

I had a chrome one. I seem to cook a regulator every six months. I went back to stock and it's been good for two years. Do you guys think the chrome housing retains too much heat? lou
Old 02-17-2003, 10:44 AM
tsw71
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just replaced mine with a chrome Powermaster 105amp alternator several weeks ago. These are advertised as "one wire"and for standard hookup. They are shipped as standard hookup with instructions for converting to "one wire". In other words, just plug it in like the factory one and it will be fine. Also, you are correct in that they do not have the additional bosses for mounting the RF noise filter(looks like a condenser) and ground wire that the stock ones use. I just eliminated the noise filter and ran the ground lead to the mounting bracket. It works fine that way and I have not noticed any more noise through the radio.

Get notified of new replies

To Chrome alternator for '79?? Any Ideas??

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Chrome alternator for '79?? Any Ideas??