C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternator died. Lifetime warranty is nice

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2003, 12:05 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Default Alternator died. Lifetime warranty is nice

Bought a rebuilt alternator for my '71 in 1999. I got a 12SI Delco from a '80 vette to feed all my extra electrical stuff (EFI, fans, stereo). It worked like a champ until last week when it suddenly stopped charging.

There's something to be said for getting stuff from the local autparts store. I took the dead one back to autozone and they gave me a new one. No cost, no hassle. The new one is rebuilt using a different regulator and is now rated at 85A vs 80A for the old rebuild. Being curious I took it apart and it looks like a good rebuild. Everything looks new inside.

We'll see how long this one lasts, but if they die every 4 years it's not a big deal to me. I just go back and get new ones.
Old 02-16-2003, 12:07 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Default Re: Alternator died. Lifetime warranty is nice (zwede)

Oh, almost forgot: They also have a lifetime warranty on perfomance friction brake pads! I got a set for my Z28 6 years ago and went and got new ones under warranty when they wore out after 4 years and 50 k miles. Those pads are $140!
Old 02-16-2003, 12:34 PM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 141 Likes on 124 Posts

SWEET
Old 02-16-2003, 02:12 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

another nice thng AZ does is keep the parts in a computer bank....not that it's the greatest thing...that CAN be dumped...unlikely as it seems....
BUT most stores for much of ANYTHING tese days print out receipts that disappear in a year or two, right in the file cabinet...become unreadable...
fake fading ink....convenient for them...no warrenty that way...hate that....

GENE
Old 02-17-2003, 12:28 AM
Stoge
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Alternator died. Lifetime warranty is nice (mrvette)

another nice thng AZ does is keep the parts in a computer bank....not that it's the greatest thing...that CAN be dumped...unlikely as it seems....
BUT most stores for much of ANYTHING tese days print out receipts that disappear in a year or two, right in the file cabinet...become unreadable...
fake fading ink....convenient for them...no warrenty that way...hate that....

GENE
You bring up a very good point. I just thought of this, but it might be a good deal to make a photocopy of these reciepts and staple the original to the photocopy. For some reason, toner lasts longer than that crappy ink.

Just an idea.
Old 02-17-2003, 02:12 AM
Denmech
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Delco makes pretty high quality remans! And It's a safe bet they will be around to honor the warranty! :D

Get notified of new replies

To Alternator died. Lifetime warranty is nice

Quick Reply: Alternator died. Lifetime warranty is nice