C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fiberglass repair advice?????

Old 02-16-2003, 04:48 AM
chadman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Fiberglass repair advice?????

My car has had the drivers floor area from the line below the master cylinder where it angles to the rear cut down both sides and across the bottom and pushed out about 2 inches and the gap created trashily amateur fiberglassed in. I want to cut that out and return to the original floor contour. Question, can i remove the patch and glue the seam back with a bonding agent or is it best to bevel the edges and layer with glass mat and resin? Would the "weld" created with a bonding agent be strong enough???? I have never done fiberglass before, but I want to do it myself. Any tips appreciated!!!! :chevy
Old 02-16-2003, 06:33 AM
CF6873
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Fiberglass repair advice????? (chadman)

chadman, If you have an overlap joint of 3/4" or so you could use bonding adhesive if you can get all of the old adhesive cleaned off down to bare glass. If you have a butt joint or a narrow overlap I would use resin and matte. You will need to taper back with a rough grit grinding disc 2-3 inches on each side and then apply 2-3 layers of saturated matte. You should roll out each layer to get the matte to the bottom and the resin to the top to make a stronger repair. If you have any more questions feel free to ask. Good Luck, Craig

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fiberglass repair advice?????