C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Backup lights after bubble light installation

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2003, 10:13 PM
VETJET
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Backup lights after bubble light installation

I am curious has anyone installed backup lights underneath the car after installing bubble lights. I researching the possibility but I want to insure that the lights are hidden underneath the car.
Old 02-15-2003, 11:08 PM
cchristo
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Backup lights after bubble light installation (VETJET)

Someone posted several weeks ago on this subject. If I remember correctly, he found some licence plate bolts that actually have lights embedded in them. I don't know where he got them, or if they are even bright enough to help. I do remember seeing something in the last JC Whitney catalog I got but I think I threw the catalog away.
I'm considering putting some type of light on the sides of the license plate. I've just got to figure out a way to make it look good.
Old 02-15-2003, 11:46 PM
454Can-Am
Racer

I installed a set of '69 Camaro rally sport reverse lights---I think they look :cool: ! I'll try to e-mail you a pic ..... Rick :chevy
Old 02-16-2003, 12:14 AM
Schmucker
Melting Slicks

Glassing in some Mustang reverse lights might not be bad. They are just little round lights. Just an idea...
Old 02-16-2003, 12:21 AM
cchristo
Pro

Default Re: Backup lights after bubble light installation (454Can-Am)

454 Can-Am, I'd appreciate a look at those light myself if you don't mind. My original tail lights are getting uglier by the day. I saw another 80 the other day go by me, it had the bubble tail lights. I got jealous but I need backup lights!
Old 02-16-2003, 12:27 AM
cchristo
Pro

Basically, what I'm thinking about doing is this.....
Cut a hole in both sides of the raised part of the bumper that goes around the license plate. Probably between 1-2 inches long. Then I need to find some kind of bezel with a clear or clear textured lens that will fit to give it a clean, stock look. It will only be able to be about 1/2 - 3/4 inches wide in order for it to fit. In the words of the band, U2, "I stillllllll, havn't founnnnnnd, what I'm looking forrrrrr"!
Old 02-16-2003, 01:15 AM
spica 7
Heel & Toe

The Vette I purchased has bubble taillights. I never thought about the backup lights since the vettes passed the state inspection. Have to have someone look to see if they can see the backup lamps through the bubble lenses when the car is put in reverse.
Old 02-16-2003, 07:48 AM
jerryp58
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Backup lights after bubble light installation (cchristo)

Maybe that's me...

http://users.erols.com/jerryp58/corv...ts/backup3.jpg
http://users.erols.com/jerryp58/corv...ts/backup4.jpg

They're easy to install, but they're not bright enough to do you much good.
At most, they should alert someone that you're backing up.
I got them off of eBay, but I think you can find them in most chain auto parts stores (AutoZone, AdvanceAuto, PepBoys, etc.).

I wanted to figure out some way to mount a light to a license plate frame (either top, bottom, or sides), but couldn't do it. The only thing I could think of was to try & modify one of those nice billet frames with the license plate light built in, but I didn't have the guts to buy one for $50 and butcher it so the light shone out the back.

Other than that, I thought a nice horizontal light under the "Corvette" insignia would look nice, but that too would be a big project.

If you come up with a good solution, please post it.
Good Luck.

Get notified of new replies

To Backup lights after bubble light installation

Quick Reply: Backup lights after bubble light installation