C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

interior door install clips

Old 02-15-2003, 08:07 PM
74 vert
Melting Slicks

Location: Where are the Smoky Mountain Cruisers? Not Correctly Restored Stingray
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Default interior door install clips

check out these pics. I'm trying to figure out how these clips work, I don't understand how they should work. :confused:

Old 02-15-2003, 08:33 PM
A C
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: interior door install clips (74 vert)

I know how they work, but it will be really hard to explain it to you. You see the that the clip is bent in an "S" shape right? You have to slide the holes over the clips (there are a few), and hook them and then move them just a little to get the screws into position. Whatever you do, don't push or pull too hard, as your door panels have a weak backing, and will crack or break if you pull too hard when the clips are in them (don't ask me how I know :D). Good luck! :cheers:

[Modified by A C, 7:34 PM 2/15/2003]
Old 02-15-2003, 08:35 PM
SanDiegoPaul
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: interior door install clips (A C)

Right-O ! :iagree:

The clip slips into a slider slot on the door panel and screws onto the door. Unfortunately the backing on the door panel is the weakest part of the door. My left side inner panel flops at my left foot each time I shut the door.

:mad :cuss
Old 02-15-2003, 08:38 PM
vettes1st
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Remove the clip from the door. It slids into the door panel slots. These help hold the panel to the door.
Old 02-15-2003, 09:01 PM
A C
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: interior door install clips (vettes1st)

:iagree: Good advice. Attach them to the door panel first and then attach the whole assembly to the door. This is what I ended up doing. :yesnod:

AC
Old 02-15-2003, 09:33 PM
74 vert
Melting Slicks

Location: Where are the Smoky Mountain Cruisers? Not Correctly Restored Stingray

Thanks, my new door panels don't seem to have a place to slide the clips into. I guess I'm going to have to try to cut a place on the new skin. Man this is going to be a PITA, if not very frustraiting. :cry

[Modified by 74 vert, 2:37 AM 2/16/2003]
Old 02-15-2003, 11:53 PM
74 vert
Melting Slicks

Ok, I'm quiting for the evening. I have the door panel roughed in. All I need to do is:

:rolleyes: align the inner-panel, measure location to cut panel for the clips
:rolleyes: align door pulls for screws
:rolleyes: remove panel
:rolleyes: attach clips to door panel
:rolleyes: put on the lock **** and window crank clips
:rolleyes: assemble the dog-gone door.

:cool: Start on the rest of the interior. :thumbs:

[Modified by 74 vert, 4:56 AM 2/16/2003]
Old 02-16-2003, 01:22 AM
72GACRZR
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

For those who have broke clip slots, here's a bbuubbaa type fix I have done, so far so good. I took about a 4 inch piece of flat steel 1/4" wide from home depot and filed off the sharp or hard cornors and then forced it into the door panel across the broken clip location. you have to work it one way and then use long nose pliers to pull and push it back into the other side, notice the curve of the panel botom as it will not let the metal past. It goes into some foam type stuff. Also check the fit, it can't line up with the panel as the clip must hook it and line up itself. I started with that metal tape with holes used to hang stuff but it was too wide and caused the clip to bind against the door.

This isn't as hard as it sounds. Just get a piece of strong metal (about 2 us quarters thick) across it to hold the clip. It was cheaper than a new door panel.
Old 02-16-2003, 09:48 AM
Michael Tucker
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

74 vert are you going to bring that vette out to the hot rod power tour in Nashville on may 30 and/or memphis the next day? there will be about 10 to 12 of us from the forum there.
Mike
Old 02-16-2003, 01:09 PM
74 vert
Melting Slicks

Default Re: interior door install clips (Michael Tucker)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
74 vert are you going to bring that vette out to the hot rod power tour in Nashville on may 30 and/or memphis the next day? there will be about 10 to 12 of us from the forum there.
Mike
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I might, depends on what's goin on that weekend.

I know I'll probably take part in these activities locally here;

6/26 THURSDAY EVENING: The Caravan will head for its Pre-Arrival Ceremony. The Caravans will be greeted by REEDER CHEVROLET, who will have a BBQ style meal and the news media ready and waiting.

6/27 FRIDAY MORNING: The Caravans will overnight in Knoxville, and with the NC/SC Caravan in tow, will leave together early Friday morning for those who want to stop in Nashville for the Chevrolet planned events and continue onto the final destination, the National Corvette Museum (Bowling Green, KY.) for those that want to check into rooms before returning to other events in Nashville or elsewhere.
:thumbs: :thumbs:

I better get working on the car. I don't have a drivers seat in yet. :lolg: :lolg:
Old 02-16-2003, 05:57 PM
74 vert
Melting Slicks

Well that was a PITA. :cuss I got the inner-skin on, shaved the inner-skin with a razor to get the clips aligned. I attached everything except the rear clip to the door. I hope hot weather with the door in the shut position draws the door skin against the metal door, then I'll attach the clip to the door.

I know the drivers door will be quicker, now that I have experience with the left door. :hurray:

Movin' on to the center console area. Pics later. :thumbs:

Get notified of new replies

To interior door install clips

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: interior door install clips