C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help Please! Sticky lifter or crazy rocker problem...

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2003, 06:07 PM
Jerr79Shark
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Please! Sticky lifter or crazy rocker problem...

After the loud tapping and runability issues I have encountered, I checked the timing, plugs, wires, compression, and carb. All were ok and in good order. I then went through and completely adjusted the rocker arms and restarted the car. Obnoxious tapping once again prevailed, thinking it was still the rocker arms, I again re adjusted them to one turn past contact and restarted the motor... Same tapping and clacking sounds. I am begining to think that I might have sticky or mucked up lifters that are causing the rockers to tap, but how likely is that and does that sound like an issue given the situation? Any help would be great since I am about to tear the manifold off and check out the lifters if I can't figure this out another way...
Thanks in advance,
:banghead:
Old 02-15-2003, 06:13 PM
redwingvette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 138 Likes on 73 Posts

Default Re: Help Please! Sticky lifter or crazy rocker problem... (Jerr79Shark)

If you run it with the valve covers off and don't see oil squirting out the push rods then you may have a bad lifter. Rotate the motor until there is no load on the lifter in question and see how easy it is to push it down. compare it to others.
Old 02-15-2003, 06:21 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Default Re: Help Please! Sticky lifter or crazy rocker problem... (redwingvette)

Cut a slot in an old valve cover and adjust the valves 1/2 turn after ticking stops.
I you can't get rid of the ticking this way then at least you will be able to find out which lifter is giving you a problem :D

[Modified by MotorHead, 5:52 PM 2/15/2003]
Old 02-15-2003, 08:16 PM
The Money Pit
Melting Slicks

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Default Re: Help Please! Sticky lifter or crazy rocker problem... (Jerr79Shark)

Hydraulic lifter preload should be 1/2 turn down from initial contact with the valve fully closed.That being said,the tapping might not be valve train.Try pulling one plug wire at a time with the engine running. If the tapping goes away on removing the plug wire,you may have a rod bearing on it's way out.
Old 02-15-2003, 08:33 PM
Chris@VetteFinders
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Help Please! Sticky lifter or crazy rocker problem... (The Money Pit)

Man, I went on this wild goose chase for about 6 weeks myself. I had a noise that sounded exactly as you describe. I checked everything.... well it turned out to be a bad EXAHUST manifold gasket. And I would SWEAR it was the sound of a bad lifter, or rocker or something. Man, check your exhaust!!
Old 02-16-2003, 10:20 AM
SanDiegoPaul
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Help Please! Sticky lifter or crazy rocker problem... (Chris@VetteFinders)

Man, check your exhaust!!

I agree :iagree: witht that post but also, you didn't mention what kind of rockers you have. If they are OEM stamped steel they should be quiet. IF they are roller rockers, they will be noisey.

Just my .02

Get notified of new replies

To Help Please! Sticky lifter or crazy rocker problem...

Quick Reply: Help Please! Sticky lifter or crazy rocker problem...