C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problems- 71 vs 79- my first resto- related to Paul's defense of 79's

Old 02-15-2003, 04:25 PM
jerryjfunk
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Problems- 71 vs 79- my first resto- related to Paul's defense of 79's

Alright, folks. Ever since I was little I loved classic cars, especially Vettes. I realized that I most wanted three cars... a 63' Corvette coupe, a 69' Corvette, and a 69 Mustang Boss. However, that has changed. I've developed a lot of respect for other, less "famous" cars. One of my favorite type cars is the one that I drive right now, a 93 Buick Riviera. Riviera's have a long, awesome history, and I want to buy an older one some day. More on-topic, I've gained a ton of respect for late C3s.

I bought my 79' two years ago. I had never worked on a car before besides changing oil. Seriously. So as you have probably guessed, I've learned SO MUCH by reading, visiting this forum, and most of all, just going out into the garage and working on my car. I've done and re-done things as I learn more, and it eventually turned into a full frame-off restoration. Right now everything is pretty much done except for primer, paint, and putting the interior back together. I have all the parts, except AFR heads that I'm saving up for to put on the 383 I built. As you can imagine, this high-production, low-value, unoriginal 1979 Corvette means more to me than a brand new Z06 would. I love the fact that late C3s can pull of a modern classic sort of look. What other chromeless car can look so much like an American classic?

My dad saw a 71 Vette in the paper today. It is at the same stage in a frame-off restoration as mine is, except that the engine is complete. Asking price: $6,500. We are going to look at it. If it is what he says it is, we might buy it, switch motors, sell the 79, and then complete the 71. I would be "upgrading" to a chrome bumper C3 for almost no cost at all, so this would seem like a great idea, right? But I'm not so sure I'd be willing to do that. I want to be able to say "I built my 79 from the ground up", not "I built a 79 and traded it for this 71".

And it's not only the personal problem. The 79 will also handle better (I put in a fiberglass spring, too), and have a more comfortable interior. I bought fiberglass bumpers so they don't warp, and a front pace-car style spoiler for better aerodynamics (and better looks). Also, people don't expect a 79 to have 500 lb.ft. of torque under the hood, you know? :reddevil

What do you guys think? I know I will never recover the amount of money I have into the 79. I know that I would probably love how a chrome bumper C3 looks sitting in my garage. But I also know that I will HATE to see some other guy driving his girlfriend around in a car that I build in my cold, drafty garage. HELP!

Jerry
Old 02-15-2003, 04:34 PM
OkeeGuy
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Problems- 71 vs 79- my first resto- related to Paul's defense of 79's (jerryjfunk)

i cant advise you much about the trade but i wanted to say that i am impressed that you went from an "oil changer" to doing a body off... :yesnod:
as far as having more $ into your car than its worth (to someone else)...
all i can say is..."join the club!" :lol:
you are DEFINETLY not alone here...actually, i think that makes you part of the majority here...
Old 02-15-2003, 04:52 PM
Glensgages
Race Director

Received 61 Likes on 34 Posts

Default Re: Problems- 71 vs 79- my first resto- related to Paul's defense of 79's (jerryjfunk)

As a pre-teen/teenager, my dad sold Chevy's at a friend's dealership, and I 'tagged-along', eventually detailing cars for delivery, including many Corvettes, from '73 thru '81. While I'm certainly NO authority, I can offer a few thoughts. While the seats in early Sharks were 'state-of-the-art', they are no match for seats found in '78 Pace Cars/'79-'82 Corvettes. The late C3s also handle better in OEM trim, and parts are 'fairly' cheap and available. Most (and I only say 'most') early C3 owners I know feel they 'have' to find this certain part, or that particular piece, while us late-C3 guys get parts that 'work', then drive our cars. Just my $.02.....
Old 02-15-2003, 05:08 PM
MidShark
Melting Slicks

Received 275 Likes on 143 Posts

Just my .02 here, but I'd say that unless that '71 really "struck you", you know, like you "have to have it", I'd say to finish up your '79 and have some fun with it first. Reap the rewards of all of your hard work. There might be a little more "wow" factor with the '71, but it sounds like your '79 will be awfully nice. Once you have it finished and you are cruising around, you can shop for another- there will always be more around. But hey, you know what you want better than anybody! Good luck either way! Keep us posted :thumbs:
Old 02-15-2003, 07:43 PM
gq82
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

I think you know how I would vote. ;)
Old 02-15-2003, 09:01 PM
LAvetteman
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: Problems- 71 vs 79- my first resto- related to Paul's defense of 79's (MidShark)

Just my .02 here, but I'd say that unless that '71 really "struck you", you know, like you "have to have it", I'd say to finish up your '79 and have some fun with it first. Reap the rewards of all of your hard work. There might be a little more "wow" factor with the '71, but it sounds like your '79 will be awfully nice. Once you have it finished and you are cruising around, you can shop for another- there will always be more around. But hey, you know what you want better than anybody! Good luck either way! Keep us posted :thumbs:
:iagree:

Your 79 will be more confortable. I think that 71 is a bit overpriced. However, please go look at it, get the VIN# and an idea of its original options and color and register it at http://www.71corvette.com PLEASE !!! :D Or post the info here and one of us will register it....
Old 02-15-2003, 11:04 PM
Nomad78SA
Drifting

Default Re: Problems- 71 vs 79- my first resto- related to Paul's defense of 79's (71,454,4spd)

Good luck on whatever choice you make....From the time I was a teenager, I have always wanted a chrome bumper, big block, Roadster 4 speed car..I am now finishing up a 1978 frame off resto vette and I am dying to drive it. It has been three years in the doing and I am looking forward to cruising in it. I hope to be ready for the power tour for I have pre registered. Everytime I look at it, I find myself falling in love with it more.. I have put a lot of hard work into it and it's curves are to die for. It is modified to my likings with all the new technolgy to make it a joy to drive. I don't think about that roadster so much anymore when I look in the garage.. :cheers: I have got one that I have poured a bunch of love into and fully intend to enjoy the ride.
Good luck on your choice,
Neil in Tenn
Old 02-16-2003, 12:14 AM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Default Re: Problems- 71 vs 79- my first resto- related to Paul's defense of 79's (SIGNGUY)

I vote for keeping the 79. I did the same with an 81 and felt so proud when I mashed the go-pedal and felt the extra power. I rebuilt and hopped up the original engine with the help of a JC Whitney video, the local NAPA parts guy, and of all things a MOPAR mechanic. I also went from an oil-changer to a hands-on gear head. I drove the car on both short and long trips and grinned like a fool with the thought that I "did it myself" :steering:
God bless our troops in the upcoming conflict! :flag
Old 02-16-2003, 12:50 AM
cchristo
Pro

Awright, It's Saturday night, and I've a few beers in me. Melancholy has set in. Here's my .02 cents.
Having a C3 vette isn't about the blue book value. It's not about whether it can blow the doors off of other cars. I think that most here would agree with this.... We all have put tons of work, time, and effort into our cars. They will never be perfect but we love em all the more for it. The C3 is a classic. Everybody likes them. Everybody.
I've never met a person (who's opinion I might value) say, "Corvettes Suck"

My teenage son begs to drive a 23 year old, sometimes cantankerous, car on important days like prom night, etc., instead of his Dodge Stealth! (which, I might add, is a much better handling, quicker car with a MUCH better stereo system that actually thumps!)

With all the time and effort you have sunk into your beauty, I think a few years from now, you would regret getting rid of her. I know I regret getting rid of my 78 Silver in 82 and I didn't even do any work on it.

I can't foresee an event that would cause me to get rid of my 80. A forensic investigator could find my blood, skin, and knuckle chunks all over that car. Getting rid of it would be like getting rid of a piece of me.

Keep 'er :grouphug:
Old 02-16-2003, 12:57 AM
standup
Drifting

Reading thru your post I'd say you'd already answered your own question....YOU love your '79 and YOU've put a lot of work into it.

I wouldn't trade my '71 for anything, but I'm sure that your '79 in the hanger is in better condition than my '71 on the road. And besides, chrome bumpers mean squat to non Corvette enthusiasts and they're a pain to polish!!!!!!!

I say finish it off, take that chick for a ride and leave her boyfriend in YOUR drafty garage!
Old 02-16-2003, 01:11 AM
spica 7
Heel & Toe

Why would you consider a 71 an upgrade? Yes the chrome looks good if you have the right color and a good paint job. Performance wise... yes the 71 (stock) has more performance but the 79 is an improvement in some areas over the 71 ands unfortunately engine performance had to be sacraficed due to goverment regulations. If the 71 is what it is advertised ...be greedy.and get the 71. Then you will have two vettes in each series of the c3 era. :)
Old 02-16-2003, 07:23 AM
OkeeGuy
Safety Car

Default Re: Problems- 71 vs 79- my first resto- related to Paul's defense of 79's (MidShark)

hey MidShark...

:thumbs: :yesnod: :thumbs: :yesnod: :thumbs: :yesnod: :thumbs: :yesnod:
Old 02-16-2003, 03:41 PM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 141 Likes on 124 Posts

keep the 79.......................finish it and then get a chrome bumper later if you want it

Get notified of new replies

To Problems- 71 vs 79- my first resto- related to Paul's defense of 79's

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Problems- 71 vs 79- my first resto- related to Paul's defense of 79's