C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

L88 Latches and Air Box questions. Having trouble getting things to fit again.

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2003, 02:37 PM
Steve Straus
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default L88 Latches and Air Box questions. Having trouble getting things to fit again.

Ok, so I have the Original L88 hood mounted on the car. I have an issue, that my manifold is high enough, that the base of the air cleaner keeps the hood from going down all of the way. The air cleaner base fits into the airbox as it should, but it's just too high. I can't put the L88 base on the carb because the throttle bracket will get in the way. Do I have any other options besides cutting a hole in the airbox so the existing air cleaner assembly just goes up inside of it? I'm running an Edelbrock Victor Jr. 2-R intake.

Also, My current RH female latch will not fit on the hood. I made a post about that the other day, and someoen mentioned I need the "other" latch. I'm not sure which latch I have, do I have the early, or late model latch? Here are pictures of it.

Top:

Bottom:

[Modified by Steve Straus, 2:38 PM 2/15/2003]
Old 02-15-2003, 05:50 PM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Default Re: L88 Latches and Air Box questions. Having trouble getting things to fit again. (Steve Straus)

What drop base are you using now, and how much lower do you need to go for it too fit. Hopefully you won't have to change intakes. I'll be putting my original L88 hood on next week and will let you know, although I have an original Torquer intake. I will be putting a 3" spacer on the intake to get a superram air effect from the cowl induction system on it. That makes 2 hoods now, LT-1, L48 and now the L-88 hood.

[Modified by gdh, 5:54 PM 2/15/2003]
Old 02-15-2003, 06:24 PM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: L88 Latches and Air Box questions. Having trouble getting things to fit again. (Steve Straus)

Steve....if you use the GM bracket, you will be in business.
Old 02-15-2003, 07:18 PM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Steve I think you need the Holley throttle cable bracket for a 4speed. I think that's the only one that drops the throttle cable below the air cleaner.
Old 02-15-2003, 07:30 PM
Bob Turner
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Steve,

Which drop base air cleaner are you running in that picture? Where can I buy one? I haven't bought one yet. I am running a Performer RPM intake with a 1" spacer, so I am hoping this aircleaner set up will work..... I am running a Demon 850...

Bob :cheers:

[Modified by Bob Turner, 5:31 PM 2/15/2003]

[Modified by Bob Turner, 6:59 PM 2/15/2003]
Old 02-15-2003, 07:47 PM
A C
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: L88 Latches and Air Box questions. Having trouble getting things to fit again. (Bob Turner)

Steve, I hate to say it, but as mentioned in a previous post, it looks like your CSI cable bracket is the problem. I have one too, and I love it.....it's too bad there is not a dropped version of it, or some way to drop it down.

AC
Old 02-15-2003, 08:10 PM
Steve Straus
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all of the replys. Simply put, I can't change the intake. I can't use a stock intake because it wont cover the intake runners on the canfield heads. I guess I'll have to find a different throttle bracket.

Bob Turner: The drop base is a K&N 2 1/4" drop base.

Can anyone answer the questions about the latches?

Get notified of new replies

To L88 Latches and Air Box questions. Having trouble getting things to fit again.

Quick Reply: L88 Latches and Air Box questions. Having trouble getting things to fit again.