C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Silly Question-Re Intake Manifold Gaskets (Reuse?)

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2003, 09:51 AM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Default Silly Question-Re Intake Manifold Gaskets (Reuse?)

What would be the consequences - if any - if new intake manifold gaskets and an intake were installed three times in one day. Each time the engine was run up to operating temperature. The gaskets and end rubbers were reused. No goop (e.g. Permatex) was applied. This sounds a little bizarre but I watched it being done. Would the gaskets hold up to this treatment?
Old 02-15-2003, 11:29 AM
0Mike69@ECS
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Default Re: Silly Question-Re Intake Manifold Gaskets (paul79)

They Might, but thats not a risk I'd be willing to take. Especially if the engine has high cyl pressures. You are asking for leaks!!!

I have seen some new gaskets, especially the ones on the C5 that are designed to be reused, but I've never reused an intake gasket on any other car.
Old 02-15-2003, 11:38 AM
lbell101
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've done that with no adverse effects and I did use a little goop on the corners. I think as long as the gaskets come out pristine it would be alright. If they were torn, distorted, or otherwise defected I wouldn't risk it either.
Old 02-15-2003, 03:40 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Thanks for the replies. Much appreciated!
Old 02-15-2003, 03:42 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

I saw this done once on a manifold caparison. They reused the gaskets and put something called duck butter on the gaskets. It was supposed to provide a seal but it would not harden therefore was reusable.
Old 02-15-2003, 04:05 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Default Re: Silly Question-Re Intake Manifold Gaskets (Gordonm)

I should have put all of this in the proper context. It relates to my oil consumption problem that I continue to pursue and will tackle with a refurbished intake and FelPro gaskets in the spring.

It was three summers ago that a local shop did this work. They were trying to identify a seven-cylinder and low manifold vacuum condition. They pulled the intake (gasket renewal) and passenger side valve cover to look for broken springs. The gaskets used were FelPro as seen below. Re-installed. No better. The intake was sent to a machine shop and cleaned/spec'ed. It was straight. Re-installed and same condition. Taken off and a "Chevy" intake installed. No better. That one taken off. At that point I suggested they examine the driver's side valve spring set. Voila! One inner spring was cracked. The entire spring set was replaced with GM parts. And Victor-Reinz stem seals. They then installed the original intake using the same gaskets. Third or fourth time around. And the rubber inserts at the end.

That was the beginning of my oil consumption problem. I fear that the blue "goop" you see on the FelPro gaskets was rendered ineffective by this process. But I would appreciate your comments again. Apologies for not being more specific earlier.

This is my back-up intake ready to go in April.

I will try these bolts also. I understand they are a quality product.

[Modified by paul79, 4:08 PM 2/15/2003]

[Modified by paul79, 4:18 PM 2/15/2003]

[Modified by paul79, 4:20 PM 2/15/2003]

Get notified of new replies

To Silly Question-Re Intake Manifold Gaskets (Reuse?)

Quick Reply: Silly Question-Re Intake Manifold Gaskets (Reuse?)