C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I Smell Gas

Old 02-14-2003, 03:50 PM
IETEK
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I Smell Gas

Every once in a while I would get a faint smell of raw gas after shutting my car off. My gas mileage had become less than desirable actually miserable But I couldn't find a leak (gas or vacuum) .
I had checked the normal places for leaks worn hoses, connections etc. never a drip under the car.
After all this I finally found it, I cranked the car. Under a normal idle I saw no leak but when I actuated the the throttle from under the hood I would get a whiff of gas.
My fuel pump was leaking on the fuel pump body where the housing and the lever assembly are crimped together. The air moved by the fan would evaporate it before it could drip thus making it hard to find.
I have it fixed now, although it was not one of my more pleasent corvette moments. I have worked on cars all my life and that was the first fuel pump I have ever seen leak in that manner.

Just a heads up IETEK :D
Old 02-14-2003, 03:58 PM
OHSIXX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor 03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Default Re: I Smell Gas (IETEK)

I had a smell and discovered the float was too high thereby saturating the gasket.
Old 02-14-2003, 04:13 PM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 141 Likes on 124 Posts

Default Re: I Smell Gas (OHSIXX)

My fuel lines were leaking on my mufflers cusing a similar plight......Not a good thing...Glad there never was spark :eek:
Old 02-14-2003, 04:24 PM
Go-Gone
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: I Smell Gas (Alwyn678)

I had the exact same issue. Drove me nuts until I finally found it.
Old 02-15-2003, 05:55 AM
hunt4cleanair
Safety Car

Received 716 Likes on 464 Posts

QUOTE] Every once in a while I would get a faint smell of raw gas after shutting my car off. My gas mileage had become less than desirable actually miserable But I couldn't find a leak (gas or vacuum) .
I had checked the normal places for leaks worn hoses, connections etc. never a drip under the car. Just a heads up IETEK :D [/QUOTE]]

Interesting enough, I was doing some reading on emission controls and this topic came up in regards to pre-emission Corvettes. It was quite common for pre-emission owners to smell gas once the engine turned off. In evaporative control system cars (charcoal cannister post 1971) this was eliminated because the vapors are trapped in the cannister and self-contained in the system.

If your an ECS equipped vehicle...and smelling gas...you either have a leak (as you've noted) or your system may be inoperative or plugged somewhere. The service manual for your vehicle will provide instructions on to troubleshoot and correct this if indeed it is the evap system.

It sounds like you've found the source but if it persists...continue your troubleshooting. Let me know what you find.
Old 02-15-2003, 06:07 AM
KBlanke
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just went thru the same deal except mine was actually a steady drip from the same place. It must have dripped for a day before I found it, garage still has a faint gas odor to it :rolleyes:

Get notified of new replies

To I Smell Gas

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I Smell Gas