C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another BB bracket setup question - this time w/visual aids.

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2003, 12:38 PM
ORVette
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Another BB bracket setup question - this time w/visual aids.

I think I have the bracket layout figured out here. I did discover that the 454HO needs to use 7/16's bolts for the alt. bracket (instead of 3/8's like Gen.IV), and you have to drill out the holes on the brackets and straps to get the bolts through. Also, I am having trouble with the back of my alternator hitting my valve cover, preventing it from dropping down into position with the adjustment slot in the bracket (see pic). Any help with this problem, or comments about the way I have the brackets set up are appreciated. Thanks!

Old 02-14-2003, 01:37 PM
Brettmc
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Another BB bracket setup question - this time w/visual aids. (ORVette)

I was gonna say dimple the valve cover....but it appears to be cast aluminum....anyway it looks like it won't be "dimple-able". If ya shim the brackets, it's gonna create pulley alignment probs. So, I would probably break out my trusty dremel and attack the alt.

I'm having an a/c bracket prob...I've got a R4 compressor in a 74...prev owner says the unit WAS hooked up before head swap...now however, the bracket won't fit the pass. side head. So, I feel your pain.
Old 02-14-2003, 02:10 PM
ykp53
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Another BB bracket setup question - this time w/visual aids. (ORVette)

i hope that i can be of some help. i have a crate 454 installed in the car and i have the same valve covers and had the same problem. does your alternator have the connection (plug thingy) located on the top? my first alternator did too and i had to bubbafy it to get it to work i ground the bump that hits the valve cover off. the reason i was asking about the plug was when i bought me rebuilt alternator i was given a choice between top plug or side plug. the side plug doesn't have the small protrustion that stops it from droping down. i still have to remove the alt. to take teh valve covers off. i will be glad to get the number off of my alt. if you would like.
Old 02-14-2003, 02:13 PM
ykp53
Racer

Default Re: Another BB bracket setup question - this time w/visual aids. (Brettmc)

brett m/c i had your problem also. i installed a a/c system out of a late 77 and it had a rebuilt r4 compressor. if you would like to see how i solved it let me know. just call me bubba.....

[Modified by ykp53, 1:22 PM 2/14/2003]
Old 02-14-2003, 02:16 PM
BB wowbagger
Melting Slicks

Maybe this would help a little...

Old 02-14-2003, 05:13 PM
ORVette
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Another BB bracket setup question - this time w/visual aids. (ykp53)

Thanks you for all the replies.
- BB, can you check your link, I can't get your picture to open (PS-thanks for the email).
-ykp, I'd like to know which alt. you run. Here is a picture of the back of mine. It has a plug which goes in the top. If the "lug" that's hitting the vc is just a ground, could I grind it off and re-tap it somewhere else in the back of the housing where it wouldn't interfere with anything?
Old 02-14-2003, 05:57 PM
trw
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Troy

Looking at your last pic and then at my car, my back is turned different.

Delco Remy logo is mounted to the right (next to the valve cover) and the hot (red lug) is straight down. The ground is straight up (at the top) of mine.

It looks like the rear casing is off 90 degrees. Can the rear be unbolted and turned one bolt counter clockwise?

I found a pic. This is how a stock setup looks.

Terry

[Modified by trw, 3:33 PM 2/14/2003]
Old 02-14-2003, 06:58 PM
ORVette
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Another BB bracket setup question - this time w/visual aids. (trw)

Terry,
Thanks for the idea! and the picture! I just went out and rotated the rear housing 90deg., and it works great. A little tricky holding the brushes in while trying to reassemble the two halves. I used a piece of bailing wire fed through the rear of the housing to hold them in until I could get the shaft and everything put back together. Thanks all!
Old 02-14-2003, 11:05 PM
ykp53
Racer

Default Re: Another BB bracket setup question - this time w/visual aids. (trw)

thats what mine looks like also... so i guess you dont need that number now.

Get notified of new replies

To Another BB bracket setup question - this time w/visual aids.

Quick Reply: Another BB bracket setup question - this time w/visual aids.