C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fast Blinkers

Old 02-14-2003, 07:21 AM
Tele_Man
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Fast Blinkers

The turn signal indicators on my rear lights blink way too fast. What causes this? Did the previous owner install the wrong electrical fuse for that circuit, or maybe the wrong wattage of light bulb? I'm sure it's something really simple. Can you guys help me short-cut the troubleshooting?
Old 02-14-2003, 09:28 AM
mapman
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts

Default Re: Fast Blinkers (Tele_Man)

May be as simple as needing a new heavy duty flasher. I would replace that first, simple and cheap.
Old 02-14-2003, 12:35 PM
VegasJen
CFOT Attention Whore

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Re: Fast Blinkers (mapman)

could be the flasher. also, the signal system works on a thermal element (that's the flasher) that opens and closes the contacts based on the heat generated through current flow. i have seen on my wifes car a fast flash develop, but just on the left side signals. turns out that the plug on the front left signal was all gunked up with corrosion, causing a (relatively) high amp draw to arc across the circuit. cleaned out the corrosion and coated the inside with some dielectric grease, along with the other three turn signal sockets and have had no problem since. hope that helps.
Old 02-14-2003, 01:40 PM
LAvetteman
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: Fast Blinkers (clutchdust)

:iagree:

Too much amp draw passing through the flasher causes a fast blink. Not enough amp draw causes slow blink or no blink(steady on) like a burnt bulb or bad connection.
Old 02-14-2003, 03:51 PM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

Default Re: Fast Blinkers (71,454,4spd)

Also, there are different flashers for 2 bulb vs. 4 bulb systems. Check your owners manual, get the "spec" for your original flasher, and check it against what's in the car now. Might be simply an incorrect flasher. Could also be bad connections, as others have suggested. Chuck
Old 02-15-2003, 08:03 AM
Tele_Man
Pro

Default Re: Fast Blinkers (Chuck Gongloff)

Please pardon my ignorance, but when you say "flasher" I assume you're referring to a special type of light bulb, right?
Old 02-15-2003, 08:48 AM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I've converted the rear lights to four stop/blinkers (as per 68) and the OE flasher blinks very fast. Anyone have a spec or PN for the HD flasher that will blink more slowly?
Old 02-15-2003, 03:54 PM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

The flasher is a separate entity. Depending on the year of your car, sometimes they're mounted on/in the fuse box, or sometimes on a clip under the dashboard. Check the AIM for your year.

There are different "size"/electrical impedence flashers for different "bulb" systems. 2 bulb/4 bulb, and whether your "running" lights flash with the turn signal will determine the correct electrical value for the flasher for your car. I don't have reference manuals for flashers, but if you check your owners manual, it should tell you the correct "model" for your car.

There are flasher bulbs too, but these are not used in turn signal and four way flasher systems. The "blinking" light on midyear Emergency Brake and Headlight Up/Down warning light use a special blinking bulb. Chuck

Also, check your owners manual to see what the correct bulbs are for your turn signals

[Modified by Chuck Gongloff, 3:55 PM 2/15/2003]
Old 02-15-2003, 04:43 PM
WhyFly
Instructor

Good advice from all the posts in here. The good news is that flashers are relatively cheap to replace. The flasher unit is usually under the dash on the fuse panel or close to it. Activate the flasher and it should be easy enough to hear and spot. You can feel it if you put your fingers on it. There are two remember, one for the emergency flashers, so make sure you are working on the right one. A good 12v electronic flasher is usually a good bet and only costs about 6 to 10 bucks. If that doesn' t correct the problem, chances are you have a bad conection at one of the ends ( sockets ) Have someone help you and check the signals with the brakes applied. This will help you spot a bad bulb or an area to be suspect of. It's really a process of elimination. Let us know what you find.. Good Luck! :thumbs:
Old 02-15-2003, 06:19 PM
Tele_Man
Pro

Default Re: Fast Blinkers (WhyFly)

Hey, you guys are great! Thanks a million for all the helpful hints. You saved me a ton of frustration trying to pin down the problem myself. Cheers!
:cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Fast Blinkers

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fast Blinkers