C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SQUEKY BELTS!!!!!!!!!???????????????!!!!!!!!!?? ????????????

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2003, 10:56 PM
Corvettelvr73
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default SQUEKY BELTS!!!!!!!!!???????????????!!!!!!!!!?? ????????????

What in the world can I use to get these belts to stop squeking? They are brand new tight belts and belt dressing doesnt get it to quit. Any Ideas/Remedies? :confused:
Old 02-13-2003, 11:24 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: SQUEKY BELTS!!!!!!!!!???????????????!!!!!!!!!?? ???????????? (Corvettelvr73)

It is my opinion after owning many cars of the 60's-70's vintage over the last few years, that the measure and taper of the belts made today are on the metric system, which calls for a differant taper on the V.....so they ride on the outer edges/wide section....look carefully at the belts and see how the back is probably somewhat ( shaped...curved, instead of straight across....
meaning the belt is riding on the edged, instead of the entire V section....

You have to locate a belt source that is NOT metric standard.....

IMO....Rotsa Ruck.....

It's one of the reasons I converted to serpentine on my car....

GENE
Old 02-13-2003, 11:29 PM
Corvettelvr73
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: SQUEKY BELTS!!!!!!!!!???????????????!!!!!!!!!?? ???????????? (Corvettelvr73)

Yep I just went out and took a look at them and they are slightly curved or cuped. Didnt even think about the width of the belts, I thought they were all the same. Thanks
Old 02-13-2003, 11:32 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

It's not the WIDTH of the belts, allthough they are narrower than the old American standard, they still would work......

what the trouble is....the TAPER of the V the angle is different....

GENE
Old 02-14-2003, 09:13 AM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 141 Likes on 124 Posts

Default Re: SQUEKY BELTS!!!!!!!!!???????????????!!!!!!!!!?? ???????????? (mrvette)

I agree wih all the above . Maybe find a new source for belts. the old bubba trick is while the car is running take a candle and rub on the belts(underside) I guarantee they will stop squeaking :cheers:
Old 02-14-2003, 09:22 AM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: SQUEKY BELTS!!!!!!!!!???????????????!!!!!!!!!?? ???????????? (Alwyn678)

I have much better luck with dealer/delco dist. belts when it comes to squeaks and fit.
Old 02-14-2003, 09:23 AM
Surfer69
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Just to add, we had this topic three weeks ago and in my case it was belt too loose. Even if you think its tight, try getting a little bit tighter and see if it helps. Belt shouldn't wiggle more than .25 in. Others said try premium belts instead of basic. Not sure about the V mismatch.

Get notified of new replies

To SQUEKY BELTS!!!!!!!!!???????????????!!!!!!!!!?? ????????????

Quick Reply: SQUEKY BELTS!!!!!!!!!???????????????!!!!!!!!!?? ????????????