C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1: Your vette looks good. 2. Yeah it does, but...

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2003, 08:55 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 242 Likes on 201 Posts

Default 1: Your vette looks good. 2. Yeah it does, but...

...there's a spot here where the color blending isn't quite perfect, and there's a little bit of bubbling right here, and if you walk over here, tilt your head at a 45 degree angle and cast a black light to the spot, it looks terrible!

Or, "Yeah, this engine makes 483 rwhp, but it's running a little rich..."

We have a tendency to point out every single flaw to people, vette owners or non. I know that I do it quite frequently. When I first met tsw71, he pointed out a couple different things wrong with his paint(we all have that, I suppose), and other little nuances. fauxrs was all too quick to point out the faults in his car.

I have paint bubbles along the back deck, terrible spiderwebbing on the passenger side front fender, the passenger side tailpipe melted a little bit of the rear bumper in an unnoticeable area, there is a spot here, there, there, and over there... etc.

Don't get me started with Les. You couldn't superglue a cat to his ultra slick, always polished sky blue metallic '69. Beautiful car, but it was "a little dirty" at the track. :)

Don't say you don't do it, 'cuz you know you do!

I have friends with other cars in far lesser condition who complain much less. We are a special breed. :) I guess we just have a more discerning eye.

What other weird habits have you noticed out of the stereotypical vette owner?

-Steve

PS Not complaining about anyone, just noting what I see to be true among almost every vette owner I've met! :) More amused than anything.
Old 02-13-2003, 09:01 PM
Chris O'
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 1: Your vette looks good. 2. Yeah it does, but... (Pacin'California)

Guilty, guilty, guilty! :lol: I get a lot of compliments for mine and I always think "yeah, but you don't know about this and if you get up close there's this...etc."

Maybe we are just an **** bunch?? ;)
Old 02-13-2003, 09:05 PM
73 LS-4
Melting Slicks

Default Re: 1: Your vette looks good. 2. Yeah it does, but... (Pacin'California)

Your right, I know every flaw by heart. Normally starts off with someone saying "your paint looks great" then I say "it's alrite, but it has a few spots I'm not happy with like this one", then I'll point to a stress crack or something.

:cheers:
Pat Kunz
Old 02-13-2003, 09:05 PM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

With my L88 hood and sidepipes, everybody always says "so it's a big block??" My reply is usually something like, "No, it's a little smallblock.... and the car really need paint....." I can't wait for the time when I can say "No, it's a stroked smallblock that puts out big block power!!" Ahhhh, some day....
Old 02-13-2003, 09:50 PM
Eric 96
Safety Car

You know, we do that because if we don't, then some A-hole is just going to point it out to us...and he's probably the A-hole who came in the minivan....and he "used to own a Vette" back before he got married....you all know the type!
Old 02-13-2003, 10:00 PM
Metal Wulf
Race Director

Default Re: 1: Your vette looks good. 2. Yeah it does, but... (Eric 96)

You know, we do that because if we don't, then some A-hole is just going to point it out to us...and he's probably the A-hole who came in the minivan....and he "used to own a Vette" back before he got married....you all know the type!
:yesnod:
Old 02-13-2003, 10:10 PM
SharkAttack
Safety Car

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Guilty as charged.

My reasons:
1. I love my Corvette and want it to be perfect (hence **** retentive tendencies).
2. I like to mention them before Bubba does, because so many people like to pick apart what others own.

:D
Old 02-13-2003, 10:38 PM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Yeah, me too. I'm learning(slowly) to just say thanks when someone says my Vette looks great.

My mother told me(but I must be a slow learner) "It's better to stand there and look like a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt!" :lolg:
Old 02-13-2003, 11:03 PM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: 1: Your vette looks good. 2. Yeah it does, but... (1970 Stingray)

Gotta agree with all of you...

When a group of friends at work came over to help unload the new engine in the garage they finally got to see the Vette I had talked to them about. They were like *WOW* and I picked it to pieces with every flaw that I had found since going through it from top to bottom. Every Vette I have owned(this is my 5th) I spent alot of time keeping it up or attempting to improve it. To the average viewer this is a really nice looking vert. To me? It's now in parts, so you can guess I was not satisfied. And I am not going to just throw it back together to get it back on the streets as I would be disappointed in myself if I went that route. When it rolls out of the garage the next time it will not only be safer & faster than hell... but something that was well worth doing.
Old 02-13-2003, 11:07 PM
Corz
Team Owner

Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Re: 1: Your vette looks good. 2. Yeah it does, but... (bgrice)

:bb
Old 02-13-2003, 11:22 PM
Stoge
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

My DD is a 2001 Ford F150 XL. Base model. Rubber floor mats. It is a good looking pickup, but it is just a pickup. So why is it that I hand wash and hand wax it? Why am I so worried about beating up the bed? Why oh why do I use Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil? WHY???

Its a freakin truck for crying out loud!

God forbid should I ever be able to afford a brand new vette. It may not ever make it out of the garage for fear of UV rays fading the windshield moulding!!! :crazy: :crazy:
Old 02-14-2003, 01:29 AM
'79ProwlerOrange
Safety Car

Default Re: 1: Your vette looks good. 2. Yeah it does, but... (bgrice)

yep, ive actually gotten a few "Wows" and "woahs" about my paint and the 1st thing i do it point out all the flaws.

stupid! :banghead: stupid! :banghead: stupid! :banghead: stupid! :banghead:
Old 02-14-2003, 02:06 AM
fauxrs
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

. fauxrs was all too quick to point out the faults in his car.

:lol: :lol:

Well I think its especially prevalant when we are around other corvette owners, I think its a defense mechanism, we know that there are flaws and we use them as a method of bolstering ourselves when we are surrounded by many more gorgeous cars.

there's a spot here where the color blending isn't quite perfect, and there's a little bit of bubbling right here, and if you walk over here, tilt your head at a 45 degree angle and cast a black light to the spot, it looks terrible!
I'm going through this now - I just had my eurathane nose repaired and I calle dthe painter because - under heavy scrutiny from a certain angle in a certain light you can see some bleed through of primer. The guy who fixed the paint for me laughed and recounted several stories of similar acclaims at the paint shop he works at.

He also said bring it by, if he can fix it he will NC.

Steve, I've yet to see your car but if its half as nice as your photos, then I'm in good company. :cheers:

[Modified by fauxrs, 11:06 PM 2/13/2003]
Old 02-14-2003, 02:19 AM
JoeC427
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: 1: Your vette looks good. 2. Yeah it does, but... (Chris O')

:iagree: :steering:
Old 02-14-2003, 02:32 AM
Desertdawg
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: 1: Your vette looks good. 2. Yeah it does, but... ('79ProwlerOrange)

yep, ive actually gotten a few "Wows" and "woahs" about my paint and the 1st thing i do it point out all the flaws.

stupid! :banghead: stupid! :banghead: stupid! :banghead: stupid! :banghead:
:iagree:
You couldn't have said it any better....but you did miscount, one more ought to do it :banghead:
Old 02-14-2003, 02:50 AM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: 1: Your vette looks good. 2. Yeah it does, but... (fauxrs)

Eric-

I am very tempted to drive the 78 down to SoCal this summer...

But my car definitely is not as good looking as it is in photos!

It could definitely stand a repaint.

-Steve
Old 02-14-2003, 05:22 AM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Eric-

I am very tempted to drive the 78 down to SoCal this summer...

But my car definitely is not as good looking as it is in photos!

It could definitely stand a repaint.

-Steve
Which brings us right back to where we(you) started. Good post Steve- you got us all right where we stand, including yourself. :lol: The reasons for this are well stated in the posts above. Are we ever satisfied??? At some level I think we are at various times but if we're ever totally satisfied we are surely missing something. Even right out of the paint shop from a $7000 paint job no car is cosmetically perfect- there's bound to be a slight pimple somewhere if you look hard enough, right? Or a small rock chip soon after we start driving it....Is perfection attainable? No. Do we ever stop trying for it or at least dreaming of it? No. Nothing wrong w/ that- it's called pride & we all have reason to be proud. To me, it's all about doing the best you can w/ what you have & then sitting back & enjoying it. As some of the folks said in another thread- we are never done w/ our cars...always something more we'd like to do. To me, that's half the fun.

Oh yea- my car WAS dirty that day Steve! ;)

Get notified of new replies

To 1: Your vette looks good. 2. Yeah it does, but...

Old 02-14-2003, 05:24 AM
Mystery Machine
Drifting

That's funny! :lolg:

I always get people starring and mentioning how good it looks and I always say "Thanks but it's a project". They all do look great but to us all we see is the next mod or the little, dime-sized tear in the seat and until those things are done it doesn't look great to us. But, we love them anyway! :hurray:
Old 02-14-2003, 01:55 PM
American Boy
Pro

Default Re: 1: Your vette looks good. 2. Yeah it does, but... (Mystery Machine)

Last spring, me and a friend painted my car, he owns a paintshop. The paint was perfect, he buffed it and it was shinning like glass. I was so glad until I put back the key lock on the driver door. When I put the clip behind, I cracked the paint. All summer when people talked about how good the paint was looking, I was telling about the craked paint.

What's that all about??? The car looked like a showcar but I wasn't satisfied. Now we'll paint the door all over again and if I'm lucky, the paint will be perfect until.....

That's what pushes us to do better. :crazy:

Stephan
Old 02-14-2003, 08:00 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: 1: Your vette looks good. 2. Yeah it does, but... (Les)

Which brings us right back to where we(you) started. Good post Steve- you got us all right where we stand, including yourself. :lol:
Looks like I fell into the trap! I didn't even think of what I was saying in context with my own little thoughtful rambling!

What a psychosis... :)

-Steve

PS Les- I am borrowing a 4.0mpx camera from a friend. Why don't I take some pictures of your two cars? It's high enough detail that it can pick out all the flaws...

Quick Reply: 1: Your vette looks good. 2. Yeah it does, but...