C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2003, 07:58 PM
Bamavette74
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Wheels?

Ok, I am at the point of fitting my project with some wheels. I have looked through the forum's archives and have saved several threads as "Word" documents. I have panned the globe and I am still scratching my head.

I can equip my '74 with polished '76 to '82 -esque wheels to the tune of $1300 right down to $350. The plus is that I know they will fit. The negative is that I know the world (and handling) will have past my wheels by. I have the VB&P transverse monosprings on front and rear, I have the ZZ4, I have now got Steeroids (courtesy of the Forum's group discount) so what of the wheels?

I have stock trailing arms. Stock brake calipers. What TT2 wheels will bolt up and go? What is back spacing? Will 17X8 (American Racing TT2) wheels bolt up without causing any problems - same size rear and front suit me just fine! What size rubber should be installed. No, I do not want to move my parking brake mount and yes, the speedo should tell us the truth as the diameter will wind up the same, or nearly so, as the original wheel geometry.

This will be an expensive experiment if I go the after market route.
I have noticed a dearth of suppliers that even go so far as listing prices. American Racing does not seem to deal directly with the public. Who is a good supplier who has dealt with the old sharks and their financially challenged / cautious owners?

Need some help here gents. Any knowledge and previous experiences will be more than appreciated, I am at a loss but want the smallish side walls and the improved handling that comes with them. Nothing ghetto, no bearing stressing spacers, just modern retrofit, so many have done it with other components - who is selling us the best wheels and support?

I have come to far not to make a good move on the wheels.

Sorry for the long post, but hey, I do it so little :crazy:
Old 02-13-2003, 08:57 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Default Re: Wheels? (Bamavette74)

TT2, size 17x8 with 4" backspace fits with no mods. Tires: 255/50-17 have the same 27" diameter as stock. However, on some cars the front rub when you turn. The factory clearenced the fenders on cars that came factory equiped with 255. It is not really visible. 245/45-17 will not require clearencing but are smaller diameter than stock. Your choice. I got my rims from wheelsforless and they were friendly & helpful. Also took care of a rim that arrived damaged.
Old 02-13-2003, 10:09 PM
79VetteMike
Melting Slicks

How about going with a set of wheels that everyone else doesn't seem to have or want? A little personal taste goes a long way. I think the TT2's are WAY overdone. They look great, but it's just like hearing your favorite song over and over again. Just my humble opinion.
Old 02-13-2003, 10:19 PM
silver79
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I agree TT wheels are way over done I just picked up 1982 collector wheeels and I ordered snippers for them . Will post pictures when they are on. :thumbs:
Old 02-14-2003, 10:13 AM
no_radio
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With your other suspension mods you should definitely step up to 17" wheels.
There are a lot more options that have come out in the last couple of years...Cragar SS, Torque Thrust D, and Vintage Wheel Works has some 17" wheels that you don't see around on every other car.
Also, if you like the rally wheel like try Wheel Vintiques, they make 17" Corvette rallys that look and fit like the originals but let you run the sticky rubber.
Jeff
Old 02-14-2003, 10:30 AM
SAMMAN
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 C2 of Year Finalist

Default Re: Wheels? (no_radio)

Bama,
I have the same suspension package along with steeroids. After researching the forum, l had a set of 17 x 8 TT II's with a 4" backspacing installed on 255/45 x 17" tires yesterday. The fit was perfect no spacers required. It is too cold to really take out and feel the difference, however because you went to the trouble and expense of getting the suspension you have upgrading your wheels should be a priority.
Old 02-14-2003, 01:23 PM
WA 2 FST
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 556 Likes on 359 Posts

Default Re: Wheels? (no_radio)

Another kind that is different, but turns out pretty nice on a C3 is the Boyd Coddington Timeless 5 wheels. I went with these. They also require no spacers to clear the calipers. 17x8, 4" BS and tires like Zwede suggested and you'll be good to go.

Also, they are no more expensive than the TTII or TTD.
Old 02-15-2003, 08:01 AM
Bamavette74
Advanced

Default Re: Wheels?

Thanks!
I have saved this thread and I will check the suppliers you mentioned.
And cant thank you enough for the tire size advice
:cheers:
I figured there was more than just one company out there with wheel upgrades.

Get notified of new replies

To Wheels?

Quick Reply: Wheels?