C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upper A-Arm removal

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2003, 07:45 PM
Schmucker
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Upper A-Arm removal

I need to get the upper a-arms out but they hit the fan shroud, which I'm sure you are all familiar with. Is it just 4 bolts that hold it on? I was thinking I could unscrew it, leave it on the car, and just move it around to get the a-arms off. Is there enough movement to do this?

I'm getting close to finishing the removal part, atleast for the front. Still have to drop the differential and get the shock mounts out in the back. How long to get this all back together do you think? In approximate hours. Need to change the motor and tranny before mid-April too...
Old 02-13-2003, 09:08 PM
1979LS-6corvette
Intermediate

Default Re: Upper A-Arm removal (Schmucker)

why are u takeing them out? if i may ask what did u do about the spring? how did u get that off??
Old 02-13-2003, 10:07 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Upper A-Arm removal (1979LS-6corvette)

With a jack under the lower A arm it is possible to disconnect the top A arm. The upper A arm prevents the spindle from falling away or into the car. It does not hole any weight. So with a jack under the lower A arm nothing will happen if the upper A arm is removed. Of coarse the sprindle will fall forward but support it and everything will be fine. I can change both ball joints without removing the spring.
Old 02-13-2003, 11:02 PM
78Vette-SA
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is it just the 4 bolts. However, the bolts are knurled and pressed into the frame. I found the easiest thing to do was to give the bolts a good couple of whacks and knock them out. Or, put a good strong ratchet on them and twist the !@#$ out of them until they work there way loose and out as it's hard to get a hammer in there to give it that whack. Once this was done, the A-Arms cleared the shroud and came right out (with a little twisting and turning through the hole in the fenderwell).

Replacement bolts are cheap and I felt well worth the expense of being able to get the arms out easy. :smash: :smash:

Old 02-13-2003, 11:09 PM
Schmucker
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Upper A-Arm removal (1979LS-6corvette)

why are u takeing them out? if i may ask what did u do about the spring? how did u get that off??
Because the bushings are shot and so are the ball joints. The spring, shock, and spindle are all off of the car, just two A-arms sitting there on each side.
Old 02-13-2003, 11:11 PM
OkeeGuy
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you mentioned you were going to change the motor?
maybe im wrong but isnt this job a whole lot easier without the motor in the car? wouldnt that be the perfect time to do this job?
Old 02-13-2003, 11:47 PM
mapman
Melting Slicks

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

Default Re: Upper A-Arm removal (SIGNGUY)

If you are going to take the motor out, do the suspension rebuild AFTER the motor is out. LOTS OF ROOM. You are not cramped at all.

If you are going to do it with the motor in the car, then get a slide hammer (I think you can rent one free from Auto Zone) to remove the bolts holding the a-arms. That way you don't chew up the bolts or the their holes in the frame. The shaft of the bolts near the bolt head has striations that grip the frame. When installing the bolts they should be set in their holes with a few hammer taps. The striations keep the bolt from turning when the caster and camber are being set.

If you are not pressed for time, I recommend you view the suspension rebuild video by Van Steel. Good Information.
Old 02-14-2003, 02:02 AM
Schmucker
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Upper A-Arm removal (SIGNGUY)

Yes, I'm changing the motor, problem is that that is being done 15 miles away in our other shop. The suspension is being done in this shop. If I unbolt the shroud, will I have enough play to get them off?

Get notified of new replies

To Upper A-Arm removal

Quick Reply: Upper A-Arm removal