C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

headlamp warning light on 69

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2003, 06:50 PM
telk
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default headlamp warning light on 69

How does this thing work? Everything in my instrument panel works except that light (bulb is good) Does it work only if the headlights fail to open all the way? If thats so it seems it would come on briefly as they are going up. Is there anyway to check those little switches at the headlight to see if they are good?
Thanks in advance
TELK
Old 02-13-2003, 08:02 PM
72GACRZR
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Re: headlamp warning light on 69 (telk)

Yep. If one of the lights doesn't come up, the dash light comes on. I have only seen mine when that happens. If your lights work, try pulling the vac hose off of one to keep it down and see if you get dash light.
Old 02-14-2003, 09:32 AM
Surfer69
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

The headlamp light is suppose to come on every time you turn the lights on. It then goes off once both lights have fully opened. If it stays on it is telling you one of your doors is not opened fully. This is out of the owners manual and seems to be how mine works.
Old 02-14-2003, 09:41 AM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: headlamp warning light on 69 (Surfer69)

There are two micro switches on the opening linkage. When either switch is open the light will turn on. Or anytime the lights are in transit. They are easy to break so be careful. New ones are available.
Old 02-14-2003, 01:20 PM
conway62
Pro

Mine seems to come on and stay on for about 3 minutes after the lights are fully opened. Any thoughts on why this would happen?

Thanks
Ron :steering:
Old 02-14-2003, 01:34 PM
Stewart's74
Safety Car

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Re: headlamp warning light on 69 (conway62)

Sounds like one of your linkage switches is going south. Just unplug them until you buy new ones.
Old 02-14-2003, 01:41 PM
BERLINBRIGADE
Intermediate

I do not check this out very often but this is the second time that someone has referred vacuum loss closes the headlight. I remember when I first got my car if you accelerated it hard the wiper door would lift a little and if a hose is unhooked somewhere the door would open and the lights raise. I have always just guessed this was right. If for some reason you have a vacuum leak you could still drive in the rain at night. This seems logical as it should be that way for safety. Is my system some how backwards?
Old 02-14-2003, 02:00 PM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: headlamp warning light on 69 (BERLINBRIGADE)

Vacuum is used to open them AND close them. Vacuum is switched by the vacuum relay valve. On 68-69 there is one relay that controls both lights. 70's and up use one for each light. When the lights go up, the linkage should snap slightly "over center" which locks them in the up position until a little force is applied at the correct piont at the linkage. If your lights are up and locked over center you should NOT be able to push them down by hand from the top. If you can push them down, they are incorrectly adjusted. If they are adjusted too far over center then they will unlock with a shap or loud pop when you turn the lights off. NOW.... If either light canister or the relay leak, or you have another vacuum leak, then they may not go up and lock overcenter, or they may have trouble unlocking. look under the headlighr assembly and study how they work. you can unlock them by hand if they are up by pulling the linkage off of over center. That's the basics..

[Modified by silvervetteman, 2:01 PM 2/14/2003]

Get notified of new replies

To headlamp warning light on 69

Quick Reply: headlamp warning light on 69