C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Offset Upper Control Arm Shafts

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2003, 06:26 PM
CHEESERAL
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Offset Upper Control Arm Shafts

I see the subject shafts offered in the Vette Brakes super front end kit, can anybody tell me what they do? Do they provide for more camber adjustment, easier/harder to install. Any info will be appreciated.

Old 02-13-2003, 06:38 PM
foundvettelifeisgood
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 183 Likes on 86 Posts

Default Re: Offset Upper Control Arm Shafts (CHEESERAL)

Chuck,

I found them fairly easy to install. The trick is to take off the nuts versus trying to take out the bolts. The bolts are accessable through the wheel well, so it looks easier to back them out from there, but they run through the frame, the old a-arm, the shims and the nuts. That's a lot to torque through. Removing the nuts, you can slip the old arm off of the bolts and install the new one the same way.

Taking the nuts off is a bit of a challenge given the fan shroud. I had to loosen the fan shroud in order to get the rachet socket on the nut.

I put back the shims the way they were, and with the new A-arm, the camber is way too strong. I called VBP and they said the new set up is designed to greatly reduce the shims to better solidify the suspension.

If you find any write-up on the benefits of the new A-arm, please share it.
Old 02-13-2003, 07:20 PM
CHEESERAL
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Offset Upper Control Arm Shafts (foundvettelifeisgood)

Thanks for the info, right now my front end is completely apart. I pretty much had to remove the radiator and shroud to get the passenger a arm out, so everything is out and I have all new hardware to install.

It sounds like you got new a arms, i was just talking about the offset upper a arm shafts unless that's the only difference. If so it sounds like a nice upgrade for the money and I'll go with the super kit.
Old 02-13-2003, 07:49 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I saw an article on a camaro where they drill 2 new holes, lower and a little back from the stock holes then cut off the top where the old holes were. This allows the A arm to be mounted lower which improves the geometry while cornering. Our vets suffer from too short a spindle. Ball joint spacers overcome this but so far not many go this route. Also moving the mounting point slightly back increases the postive caster without shims.
If I had my front end apart I would seriously consider doing this.
Our cars go into positive camber when cornering hard. This rolls the tire under itself. It's like leaning a bike to the outside when cornering hard. You would fall over.
Long spindles cause the tire to go to negative camber when cornering hard. This plants the tire or like the bike on hard cornering leaning to the inside of the turn. This can be accomplished by increasing the length of the spindle by a few inches.
Newer cars have this longer spindle but they have rack and pinion steering so we can't use them on our older cars.
I hang around a race shop and all the race cars have the inner bushings on the A arms lower then the ball joint.
Just more to think about
Old 02-13-2003, 08:26 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

offset shafts or offset bushings allow major adjustments with a minimum of shims. I have a set of MOOG offset shafts in all three of my racers.
...redvetracr

PS: for the street don`t bother

Get notified of new replies

To Offset Upper Control Arm Shafts

Quick Reply: Offset Upper Control Arm Shafts