C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

got the new alu radiator.

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2003, 01:56 PM
WESCH
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default got the new alu radiator.

Hi
I finally received the new alu radiator from SUMMIT for my 68 big block.
It's the 29x19 NORTHERN universal racing radiator.
Much cheaper than a Vette unit.
The first pic shows overall size against the original copper unit.
The 2nd pic shows the difference of the water neck angles. This means that I will see my fellow worker, who is a professional aircraft welder in order to get the necks welded to a similar angle as original.
3rd pic shows that the core size is exactly the same as the original copper one.
Should be a piece of cake to install it.
Well, tomorrow ,I will go for a week skiing, but after that, this project will be attacked.
You can't beat the price of this universal radiators, it's unbelieveable.
Thanks for all the help from this forum to make my decision.
Gunther

Old 02-13-2003, 02:08 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: got the new alu radiator. (WESCH)

I have a similiar rad in my 75. It was a universal rad with the same straight necks. I was able to go in the back room of a parts place and find a upper rad hose that worker perfectly.
For the bottom do not modify the outlet. Don't modify the rad in any way. Have your welder friend make you a stainless elbow and use a short piece of rad hose between this fabricated elbow and the outlet of this new aluminum rad. It is very easy to do. The new rad does not get touched in case of future warranty claims and it looks good if you do a good job of making the stainless elbow. Your friend tig welds it together.
Personally I would hate to remove and weld up a new neck on this rad. It might have epoxy in the core and heat might destroy this bond.
Old 02-13-2003, 02:08 PM
MN-Brent
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks great...Good info to have.

How did your caliper O-ring conversion work out. I just ordered the kit from VBP today.

Brent....
Old 02-13-2003, 02:53 PM
Cor6996vette
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bring your old hose to kragen and look for one that have the same curve , maybe it is longer but you can cut it fit. ( That what I did ) :)
Old 02-13-2003, 03:01 PM
jackson
Le Mans Master

Received 628 Likes on 556 Posts

Default Re: got the new alu radiator. (norvalwilhelm)

I have a similiar rad in my 75. It was a universal rad with the same straight necks. I was able to go in the back room of a parts place and find a upper rad hose that worker perfectly.
For the bottom do not modify the outlet. Don't modify the rad in any way. Have your welder friend make you a stainless elbow and use a short piece of rad hose between this fabricated elbow and the outlet of this new aluminum rad. It is very easy to do. The new rad does not get touched in case of future warranty claims and it looks good if you do a good job of making the stainless elbow. Your friend tig welds it together.
Personally I would hate to remove and weld up a new neck on this rad. It might have epoxy in the core and heat might destroy this bond.
Gunther:
Good advice from Norval. This particular manufacturer (Summit made by Northern) does not use epoxy. I'd be looking for the accordian-like universal rad hoses. It is awesome, ain't it! Glad you like it. For the others' sake, how about post what was the Summit part number you ordered?
Old 02-13-2003, 04:47 PM
WESCH
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: got the new alu radiator. (jackson)

Hello again

The SUMMIT P/N I ordered was SUM-380328.
This is the 28 ( or 29 ) x 19 inch radiator.
This is very specific for my 68 Vette.
As far as I understand, all later Vettes could use the 31x19 inch rad.
I might think about the idea of the elbow with a piece of hose.
But I also like the idea about having the correct angled outlets. Warranty
doesn't count for me as shipping it back to the states and viseversa ,would be more expensive as just ordereing a new one.
This rad also looks very solid with good welds and the fact that it doesn't use any epoxy ,helped my decision to order a NORTHERN unit.
Oh, yes, the brake O-ring conversion worked out fine so far. System is bled and pressure tested. Unfortunately, due to the rad mod and winter season, I did not drive the car yet.
Again, thanks for the forum's tips.
A recoring of the original copper rad comes to 400 $ + over here. :smash:
This alu rad was 170 + 8 handling charges from SUMMIT + 25 shipping from US to Europe + 40 import tax, so all together about 240 $. ( + various smaller parts I was able to hide in the same shipment )
I take this as being a super deal.
Will try to take some pics about the mounts, that might need modification etc.
Thanks Gunther
:seeya

Get notified of new replies

To got the new alu radiator.

Quick Reply: got the new alu radiator.