C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My AR 383 Crate update and off to West Africa

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2003, 01:17 PM
tshort
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 7-8 Veteran

Default My AR 383 Crate update and off to West Africa

Well, to those that were interested, I still haven't received my 383 from AR yet. They have been having some QC problems with the new E-TEC heads from Edelbrock. Hopefully it was just an unlucky batch of bad heads but Mark is looking into it with Edelbrock. They had 2 engines built with these heads and dynoed with really good numbers. Then when they built mine it was down 20%. They tried another and similar numbers. So they are sorting it out with Edelbrock right now. Mark offered to just finish it up with some Canfield heads but I'm just going to wait.

The reason I don't mind waiting right now is I'm headed off to West Africa for about 5 weeks. I've got to go there for work (aint the oilfield a bitch!) but will have some limited internet access. I'll miss the forum for awhile but hopefully I'll be back with a 383 waiting to be installed and abused.
See you guys/gals later. :seeya
Old 02-13-2003, 01:33 PM
rexx78
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: My AR 383 Crate update and off to West Africa (tshort)

Work hard and dream of your engine...

If you need any API 510/570 inspectors, I'm your man... :yesnod: :lol:
Old 02-13-2003, 01:48 PM
Michael Tucker
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

have a good time and watch yourself in places where people gather,
Mike :cheers:
Old 02-13-2003, 01:51 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Received 83 Likes on 58 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII-VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03, '06, '17

I would wait too.. I'm sure that Edelbrock will fix the quality problems.. and it will be cool to have a engine with brand new technology...

:cheers:

Olivier
Old 02-13-2003, 01:52 PM
jrzvette
Safety Car

Location: The reason time exists is so everything doesn't happen at once
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Re: My AR 383 Crate update and off to West Africa (Michael Tucker)

Good Luck and LETS BE CAREFUL OUT THERE.
Old 02-13-2003, 02:54 PM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Travis,
I had written Mark a couple of weeks ago about a few things and he told me about the issues with the E-tec heads. If it were me, I'd go with the Canfields as he recommended to me. Either way, I'm sure that he'll make sure it makes the power it's supposed to before it ships out. He seems like a very stand-up guy from everyone's dealing so far....

Good luck on your work trip. Are they going to bring you home should something happen (militarily)? I hope everything goes ok and you return safely.

Old 02-13-2003, 08:15 PM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor

tshort....

I thought you were on the tech end of the oil sector. Either way... hopefully it is a good & safe trip. Nothing much new on this end of the engine installation. I started cleaning & repainting in the engine compartment and found shot bushings all around & one leaking brake caliper, so I ordered a complete front end rebuild kit & new SS calipers/brakes/hoses that arrived today. And I ran out of room in the garage, so the formal dining room is the parts place now. Not married, so no one to rag me about making good use of that area for once.:yesnod:
Old 02-13-2003, 08:45 PM
Clink69
Drifting

I think your probably better off with the Canfield heads... I have these and they are good stuff. Been around for a long time and well made and consistent.. I have the 195s.
Old 02-14-2003, 11:24 AM
tshort
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 7-8 Veteran

Default Re: My AR 383 Crate update and off to West Africa (bgrice)

I will definitely stay safe. And I'm not too worried about the current political situation...my company will take care of me if something happens.

I'll see what happens. If I'm about to return and there's still a problem with the heads then I'll probably switch to the Canfield's. Mark suggested that if I don't mind waiting that the E-TEC's will be a better setup for my needs but the Canfields have a good track record. And honestly, Edelbrock has had a good track record too so this may be just a set of bad heads. I'm glad AR tests this stuff before they just ship them off to customers.

tshort....

I thought you were on the tech end of the oil sector. Either way... hopefully it is a good & safe trip. Nothing much new on this end of the engine installation. I started cleaning & repainting in the engine compartment and found shot bushings all around & one leaking brake caliper, so I ordered a complete front end rebuild kit & new SS calipers/brakes/hoses that arrived today. And I ran out of room in the garage, so the formal dining room is the parts place now. Not married, so no one to rag me about making good use of that area for once.:yesnod:
Barry, I am in the tech end of the oilfield...although my degree states otherwise. I'm headed out there to implement and train on our drilling systems for some new rigs from a company we just bought.
And yes, the more you get into this swap, more parts starts yelling, "replace me, replace me." I don't even go out in the garage any more because when I do I find something else I want to replace or upgrade.

And I'm pretty excited about this trip. On the way back I'm going to stop in Madrid for 2 days and then over to Paris for 3 and then back home. I've never traveled abroad so it will be a new experience. I'm probably gonna feel like a cowboy in downtown N.Y.....I don't know any French and it's been 9 years since I spoke a lick of Spanish.
I'll have limited internet service so I'll poke my head in here every once in a while.

Travis

[Modified by tshort, 10:25 AM 2/14/2003]
Old 02-14-2003, 12:51 PM
e3pres
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Hurry back to the land of Coca-Cola. :flag
Old 02-14-2003, 03:46 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Default Re: My AR 383 Crate update and off to West Africa (e3pres)

:withstupid:
Old 02-14-2003, 07:33 PM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: My AR 383 Crate update and off to West Africa (GrandSportC3)

Hmmm.... GrandSportC3

I'll swear I saw you with 18,600 posts just yesterday. 19,035 today? Gotta be smoke coming from that keyboard. :lol:

Travis...

I've never been out of the U.S. myself. Well... you might consider Louisiana foreign, but I'll give'em the benefit of the doubt. You might want to consider the Canfield heads(I know you said you would) as you are going to have a ton of extra HP that you may not be able to use anyway... at least the first 1330 feet where traction will be important with 460+HP. Since you will be out of the country you have time, so maybe Mark will get the bugs out and you get what you wanted.

(Don't anyone from La. get miffed... I lived there for about 20 years)
Old 02-14-2003, 08:51 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Default Re: My AR 383 Crate update and off to West Africa (bgrice)

Hmmm.... GrandSportC3

I'll swear I saw you with 18,600 posts just yesterday. 19,035 today? Gotta be smoke coming from that keyboard. :lol:

Travis...
Well - I actually ended the day yesterday with approx. 18,950 posts and the day before with approx. 18,800 and the day before with 18,700.. Right now - I'm usually post 100 messages/day.... However - yesterday I posted 150 because I was soo close to 19k already... Next week - I will sprint towards 20k... I should be there in approx. a week...

Olivier

[Modified by GrandSportC3, 8:52 PM 2/14/2003]
Old 02-15-2003, 06:06 AM
blue72
Instructor

Default Re: My AR 383 Crate update and off to West Africa (e3pres)

and ICE!

-Jason
Old 02-15-2003, 10:25 AM
Steve Straus
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can vouch that Canfield makes really nice heads. I don't have them on a small block though. Mark and Lance really inspect those heads. I've been to their shop at least twice where they had a pallate with at least 100 new heads stacked all with defects ready to get sent back to their various manufacturers. It's amazing how many bad heads make it out from the manufacturer. If he's delaying because of that I would trust that it's for a good reason.
Old 02-15-2003, 11:06 AM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Default Re: My AR 383 Crate update and off to West Africa (Steve Straus)

I can vouch that Canfield makes really nice heads. I don't have them on a small block though. Mark and Lance really inspect those heads. I've been to their shop at least twice where they had a pallate with at least 100 new heads stacked all with defects ready to get sent back to their various manufacturers. It's amazing how many bad heads make it out from the manufacturer. If he's delaying because of that I would trust that it's for a good reason.
:eek: :eek: :eek: Didn't think that there's such a high quote in defects!!!!

Olivier

Get notified of new replies

To My AR 383 Crate update and off to West Africa

Quick Reply: My AR 383 Crate update and off to West Africa