C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RPM Air Gap ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2003, 12:42 PM
Aflac
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In 5, 6 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Default RPM Air Gap ?'s

I Keep seeing in the ads for this intake that it says that it will not fit stock corvette hood. What year are they talking about? I am lookinginto this manifold and i know that a number of you guys run these intakes.. what did you guys do to get these to fit, short of a different hood?
Old 02-13-2003, 12:48 PM
bence13_33
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Re: RPM Air Gap ?'s (Aflac)

Clink is running an RPM air gap on his 383 small block and is running the stock '69 Corvette hood. Later model C3s without the wiper door actually have more hood clearence than those hoods on the '69s with the wiper doors.

You should be able to fit the RPM air gap with a drop base air cleaner. If you are using a drop base air cleaner you will also need to remove the choke tower off of your carburetor's primaries. The choke tower will inhibit air flow and you will be running to rich with the air cleaner in place. I had to do this with my Strip Dominator intake on my big block (run a drop base and remove choke tower).

I got a cheap drop base air cleaner from NAPA it's a Specter air cleaner (12" I believe). The air cleaner assembly cost me like $25. I will also be changing the elment over to a K&N air filter in the spring.
Old 02-13-2003, 02:02 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Received 83 Likes on 58 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII-VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03, '06, '17

I Keep seeing in the ads for this intake that it says that it will not fit stock corvette hood. What year are they talking about? I am lookinginto this manifold and i know that a number of you guys run these intakes.. what did you guys do to get these to fit, short of a different hood?
Well - the height of my setup is even higher than the Edelbrock RPM air gap and my hood is stock height..... You need a radical drop base setup in order to get enough clearance... I used a 1 1/4 inch drop base with a 2 1/4 inch K&N filter... The choke tower will have to be shaved off (or go with a carb without choke tower).. so that you can get enough air flow...

:cheers:

Olivier
Old 02-13-2003, 02:15 PM
Aflac
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In 5, 6 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

guys,
you all kick major butt!!!! It never fails that when i have questions, you all make the answers seem so stupidly simple! i appreciate it! and grandsportC#, i am so srry for what heppened to your duntov.. i hope that i never have the disfortune to see mine like that.. i think i would prolly throw up afterwards
Old 02-13-2003, 04:44 PM
Ryan77
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an RPM, not an air-gap though, under the stock '77 hood. I have a K&N 1 1/4" drop base with 3" filter. If you have to go with something like a 2 1/4" filter, then I would recommend getting the K&N extreme lid too :cheers:
Old 02-13-2003, 05:00 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Received 83 Likes on 58 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII-VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03, '06, '17

grandsportC#, i am so srry for what heppened to your duntov.. i hope that i never have the disfortune to see mine like that.. i think i would prolly throw up afterwards
At least the insurance company didn't give me a hard time with the Duntov... Right now - the money from the Duntov is in the stock market... but I might get another 2nd Vette in the near future...

:cheers:

Olivier
Old 02-13-2003, 06:34 PM
Clink69
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, I fit the RPM Air Gap under a 69 SB hood. This is the lowest hood of all years I believe.. I used a L46 350/350 drop base, same as LT1 . It is a 2 " drop base. Used a 3"x14" K&N with Extreme lid. You will find the choke tower is way up in the top at this point, thats why I milled it off. No Choke, don't need it. Car starts in 0 degress easy. This will way out perform the standard Performer intake, It is really great around town. I have a previous post somewhere in the archives (gee as much as I am asked about this it should have its own link in the sidebar) :yesnod: , anyway, look for "RPM and how I made it fit" I think thats it...

[Modified by Clink69, 6:36 PM 2/13/2003]
Old 02-13-2003, 08:53 PM
Red73
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: RPM Air Gap ?'s (Clink69)

Here is the set up that I use under my stock 73 hood.

Get notified of new replies

To RPM Air Gap ?'s

Quick Reply: RPM Air Gap ?'s