C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Outside Door Handle Replacement...PLZ Help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2003, 05:44 AM
Mystery Machine
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Outside Door Handle Replacement...PLZ Help!

I bought some of those repro outer door handles for my '73 and was trying to put them inlast night. WHAT A PITA! I got the 2 nuts off the bottom of the old handle but I cannot figure out how the handle come apart from the rod that goes through it. :cry

Has anyone else done this? If so I would seriously appreciate any tips or advice.

Thanks a ton! :thumbs:
Old 02-13-2003, 06:09 AM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Outside Door Handle Replacement...PLZ Help! (Mystery Machine)

There is a clip over the rod at the handle end. It is one of those kind that swings around and snaps over the long end so..... there is a left and right version. Kinda hard to explain what they look like. Those handles are a real PIA :iagree: After you do a couple the get easier.
Old 02-13-2003, 06:38 AM
Mystery Machine
Drifting

Default Re: Outside Door Handle Replacement...PLZ Help! (silvervetteman)

Thanks. I think I know what you are talking about...I think I saw them last night (in my nightmares!). I'm gonna tackle them again this evening, hopefully with more success.

I have been searching the archives and found a couple posts about these handles...apparently EVERYONE has a tough time with them! What have I gotten myself into now? :eek:
Old 02-13-2003, 08:01 AM
Paul 75 L82
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

with my experience replaceing the door handles was the hardest project that I have done on my vette. On one side I could only get 1 nut on and you have to work the little rod clip thru the door lock hole. That's the only way to get to it. After your done you will know that you have what it takes to do open herat surgery.
Old 02-13-2003, 08:50 AM
IETEK
Advanced

If they are the same as the 77 model all you have to do is remove the rain plastic rain shield for the latching mechanism if my memory serves me right it has two screw in it. Then remove the three phillips head screws in the door latching mechanism when you do this you can lift the whole assembly up enough to remove the rod from the outside door handle after you re-attach teh new door handle just lower it back in the hole and replace al the screws. I just had to adjust the outside handle on mine and this is how i did it

IETEK :cool:
Old 02-13-2003, 11:10 AM
Cor6996vette
Racer

I looked at the other side door to do mine ( more work but you can clean it up while you at it)
Old 02-14-2003, 12:12 PM
BKbroiler
Le Mans Master

Received 706 Likes on 401 Posts

IETEK is right. Remove the three screw head bolts that hold the door latch and raise it up with your hand inside the door. You can push it up enough to remove the little rod from the latch, then pull the handle and rod out together.

Get notified of new replies

To Outside Door Handle Replacement...PLZ Help!

Quick Reply: Outside Door Handle Replacement...PLZ Help!