C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

getting rid of my ccc need serious help on rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2003, 10:51 PM
akillervette
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default getting rid of my ccc need serious help on rebuild

ok i built a crazy motor for my vette i got it sitting in my shed i am in the prossess of a motor swap i plan on getting rid of everything all smog equipment and a/c i want to get rid of my CCC the 81 was the first year for it i want to get rid of it but i dont know if i will loose power to all my other goodies like my stereo my lights and all my guages and power windows and locks and stuff will i have to replace my relay panel and my ignitioni seriously need help if anyone knows anything @ all about this please help me thanks
Old 02-12-2003, 11:20 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Default Re: getting rid of my ccc need serious help on rebuild (akillervette)

CCC worked with the intake, carb, and distributor. Replace these and you're good to go.

Others will have more to say on the subject- esp Lars.

-Steve
Old 02-13-2003, 01:38 AM
VegasJen
CFOT Attention Whore

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

:withstupid:
steve is right. the distributor and carb will have to be replaced, but i'm sure you already had that in mind. ;) you may get a check engine light but that is easily remedied by the removal of the bulb in the dash. also, electric choke won't work.
if you don't want any of that stuff, i'd be more than happy to take it off your hands. nothing wrong with those systems... when they work. :thumbs: my computer works but the diagnostic circuit is blown :rolleyes:
Old 02-13-2003, 08:13 AM
akillervette
Heel & Toe

Default Re: getting rid of my ccc need serious help on rebuild (clutchdust)

thanks alot for the imfo guys i am just wondering wut kind of work would be in to getting rid of the system along with all my factory smog equipment if you guys are intrested in the stuff your more then welcome to make me an offer. now you guys say i have to replace my distributor do i have to replace my ignition the distributor in the car is just a regular HEI isnt it please i need all the help i can get
Old 02-13-2003, 10:04 AM
john's '81 mouse
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No the distributor in your '81 is NOT a regular HEI!!!!

It has NO provision for timing advance other than that directed by the computer! It is unique!

If you eliminate the computer, you MUST replace the '81 HEI, with a pre-'81 vacum advance HEI distributor.
Old 02-13-2003, 10:52 AM
stickboy
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: getting rid of my ccc need serious help on rebuild (john's '81 mouse)

No the distributor in your '81 is NOT a regular HEI!!!!

It has NO provision for timing advance other than that directed by the computer! It is unique!

If you eliminate the computer, you MUST replace the '81 HEI, with a pre-'81 vacum advance HEI distributor.
:iagree: Once the carb, distributor, and smog pump are removed the computer can be disconnected. This will not affect any of the other electronics. The ECM is in the front of the battery compartment and has 2 plugs that can be removed to disconnect it.
Old 02-13-2003, 03:21 PM
akillervette
Heel & Toe

could you guys tell me everything that i need to replace to eliminate my ccc and do you guys know if i will loose my power windows and locks bye getting rid of my ccc and can i modify my distributor so i can use it on the motor i built i am very thankful with the help you uys are giving me. i am 17 and this is my project i would love to have it running soon you guys are teaching me alot about my car i am willing to sell my whole ccc if someone is intrested make an offer the car has 78k miles on it and was owned buy a 86 year old man when i bought it in august car ran strong but needed body work and i fifgured jus do the motor and rear b4 i paint the car
Old 02-13-2003, 04:59 PM
VegasJen
CFOT Attention Whore

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

the ccc in the '81 isn't like alot of late model electrical systems. it's a very basic system that does very little overall. you don't even need to pull the unit or harness out if you don't want to. you put a vacuum advance distributor on there and a conventional carb and the car will run and not know or care any differently. the only thing you might notice is a check engine light. just put a conventional carb and distributor in your new radical engine and drop it in. aside from the electrical to the alt, starter, a couple of sensors and the distributor cap, there is no other electrical you need to mess with. the only thing it may affect is torque converter lock-up, if so equiped. i'm not sure since i prefer to shift for myself so i don't know if the '81 had TCC. even if it does, there are ways around that. you could find out from other forum members how to do it.
considering you admit to being 17, i remember being there one time too, i SERIOUSLY caution you not to focus solely on dropping an engine and going. corvettes are more high maintenance than other cars. especially if the car sat for a long period of time, as project cars tend to do. there are things that need to be addressed as well as the engine, such as brakes and, well, brakes are very, very important. corvette brakes are especially suseptable to problems after sitting for a long time.
if this car has less than 1000 miles in the last 2 years or more, you need to really watch brakes.
give us some more backround in the car so we know what your dealing with. we'd rather not hear that we helped you get a 400hp engine running only to find out you did 90+ into a concrete embankment because your brakes failed!
Old 02-13-2003, 06:35 PM
akillervette
Heel & Toe

Default Re: getting rid of my ccc need serious help on rebuild (clutchdust)

i understand where you guys are coming from with this i drove the car all summer and i had put 1100 miles on it my self i just figured i would do the motor befor "spending the farm" on my paint job i mean the car runs great but the motor is 22years old and i figure "jus do it" the motor i built isnt really all that nuts its 9.5:1 comp flat pistons 520 lift cam alum. performer heads alum. performer (had to go with the little guy b/c of hood clearence) and a deamon carb nothing to serious just a little fun and a 2800 stall torque converter i am not out to race my car all over the place just lookin to show it off and have jelious people say "does daddy know you have his car" and be able to hold the snotty average lil ricer brakes work good streering is great just needs front vlance rear bumper paint and a pass power door lock.

Get notified of new replies

To getting rid of my ccc need serious help on rebuild

Quick Reply: getting rid of my ccc need serious help on rebuild