C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oklahoma Corvette Owners

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2003, 06:12 PM
79VetteMike
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oklahoma Corvette Owners

I am in the Air Force and getting stationed at Tinker within the next few months. My car is a '79 and it has a crate engine with all of the smog junk gone. What are the emissions laws there? If I have to put any of that junk back on, I'll get rid of it and get an older one. Any help? Also, can anyone give me any info about the area? My wife and I are excited. Finally, one last question.....Do I have to put bull horns on the hood of my car? :lol: Any info is greatly appreciated!!! thanks alot........Mike
Old 02-12-2003, 07:42 PM
79VetteMike
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Oklahoma Corvette Owners (79VetteMike)

PLEASE!!!!!
Old 02-12-2003, 07:54 PM
mayberg
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to Oklahoma. Thanks for putting your life on the line defending my freedoms.

Oklahoma eliminated the annual inspection requirement in 2002. You don't have to take your car anywhere for anything. You don't have to have an inspection sticker on your windshield.

When we did have inspections, there were no emmissions requirements, but rather a simple review that the car hadn't had any emmissions equipment tampered with. For something as old as 1979, chances are you wouldn't have any problems anyway.

And you don't need to put bull horns on if you don't want to.

There's at least two Corvette clubs in the OKC area - I used to belong when I lived in Edmond. Now I'm in Tulsa, but I can get you hooked up with them if no one else here responds.

Good luck with the move, and welcome to the neighborhood!
Old 02-12-2003, 08:45 PM
Stoge
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I am in the Air Force and getting stationed at Tinker within the next few months. My car is a '79 and it has a crate engine with all of the smog junk gone. What are the emissions laws there? If I have to put any of that junk back on, I'll get rid of it and get an older one. Any help? Also, can anyone give me any info about the area? My wife and I are excited. Finally, one last question.....Do I have to put bull horns on the hood of my car? :lol: Any info is greatly appreciated!!! thanks alot........Mike
Emissions testing! HAAA HAAA HAAA you're killing me! We don't even have inspections anymore. My 'vette still has the 1982 inspection sticker on it.

I would have no second thoughts about getting rid of all the smog junk on my car. One thing I will tell you, though, is make sure your car is safe and in proper working order. My best friend is an Oklahoma State Trooper, and he says he writes tickets to people who have non-working seat belts, bad tires, lights out, broken mirrors, etc.

But don't worry about the law enforcement here in OK, they wont mess with you if you don't screw up, for the most part. You should be extra careful in small towns though.

As far as the area, you've found a good one. Central OK is great. There are excellent college sports about 15 miles south of Tinker. If you like baseball, you must go to the Bricktown ballpark. Tons of restaurants, tons of parks, tons of everything, including traffic.

If you like Mexican, you must go eat at the Chellino's on 43rd and South Robinson next door to Justice Golf Carts. There are a lot of Chellino's in the OKC metro, but this one is golden.

Oh yeah, and there is an old chevy parts store on I-35. If you're looking for stuff for your vette, always check there.

I used to live in Edmond, but I've moved back to Claremore, which is just northeast of Tulsa. Lots of cool stuff to do in the Tulsa metro also. If you play golf, there are tons of great courses up here, including the one I work at.

Oh and by the way, don't worry about the bullhorns. They are only for people from south of the Red River. :crazy: :lol:
Old 02-12-2003, 09:05 PM
rainman69
Drifting

Default Re: Oklahoma Corvette Owners (Simon Alexander)

You have IM. Also, as stated...the emissions/safety inspection was cancelled by the great state legislature of Oklahoma. Long live my smog-free Corvette!
Old 02-12-2003, 10:15 PM
79VetteMike
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Oklahoma Corvette Owners (mayberg)

Thanks for the kind words mayberg. My wife and I are really excited about going to OKC.
Hey Rainman, I'm an aircraft Comm/Nav guy by trade, but I've been a micro-miniature electronics Technician for several years. What do you do? I imagine we will be there by the end of the summer and plan to join a Chevy or Corvette club. I gotta go because my wife needs to get on the computer to look at houses. :crazy:
Old 02-13-2003, 09:20 AM
kgraumann
Racer

You should be extra careful in small towns though.
Not to worry about small towns, just keep your cool and don't do anything stupid and nobody will ticket you. I have been in the same small town for 38 years, and have had no problem. In fact, when I do get a ticket, I'm always in the Taurus or GMC. :D
Old 02-13-2003, 09:37 AM
Casper
Le Mans Master

To find a club in OK just go to the links part of my club's website in my sig. There are links to all the clubs in the SW region.
Old 02-13-2003, 10:25 AM
goofygrin
Burning Brakes

As far as the area, you've found a good one. Central OK is great. There are excellent college sports about 15 miles south of Tinker.
(This year at least) there are way better college sports about an hour north on I35 :lol:

Old 02-15-2003, 12:38 AM
Stoge
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Oklahoma Corvette Owners (goofygrin)

(This year at least) there are way better college sports about an hour north on I35 :lol:
Yeah, I've heard they're doing really great things with the equestrian team up there. :eek: :skep:
Old 02-15-2003, 01:33 AM
goofygrin
Burning Brakes

Yeah, I've heard they're doing really great things with the equestrian team up there. :eek: :skep:
Actually the equestrian team *is* doing well...

I do believe the Bedlam cup has already been won this year?
Old 02-15-2003, 04:20 AM
Sting Raycin
Drifting

Default Re: Oklahoma Corvette Owners (goofygrin)

Actually the equestrian team *is* doing well...

I do believe the Bedlam cup has already been won this year?
One of my ex-girlfriends is on the equistrian team at State. :rolleyes: Oh well, GO STATE. Welcome to OK by the way.

Get notified of new replies

To Oklahoma Corvette Owners

Quick Reply: Oklahoma Corvette Owners